Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cold Afternoon Swim

Real Name
    Steve

Cold Afternoon Swim

I shot this over the weekend. Not too much experience with reflections.......................so let hear it? What do you like or don't like? Personally i like this one with the ice.

Cold Afternoon Swim

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Cold Afternoon Swim

Hi Steve: I like the colours, and the expression and body language of the duck suggest that he's bloody well freezing. It's not a perfect reflection, but I don't think that takes away from the shot.

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Steve

I agree that this is as much about the ice as the duck. And I love the atmosphere created - very calming.

I wonder what a crop at the bottom, just above the bright spot above your signature (with a corresponding crop on the left to keep the aspect ratio the same), would be like? This would take the main subject (duck) onto the bottom third. I think it would also throw more attention onto the duck, because the fact that there's ice around would not be lost, but the sheet of ice in the foreground, that IMO competes with the duck for attention, would be removed.

I wonder also about doing a clone on the other bright spots on bits of ice; i.e. a) right at the top just in from the RHS; above the duck's backside; and two lumps in front of its nose.

Just ideas for you to ponder on!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

I think I like Donald's crop idea (yes, I said crop ).
    The small amount of foreground ice left is just enough and the more panoramic feel is good too.

I'd also big believer in cloning out distracting highlights and ice chunks, etc.

Fortunately, I don't think it has been quite that cold down my way yet

Cheers,