Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: An English summer

Real Name
    Andy

An English summer

Hi all

Not been on here for a while. Its a bit like my photography at the moment, very irregular, I just never seem to get the time what with work, family etc, but I keep trying when I can.

Thought I would show you my latest attempt. Yet again my processing skills let me down a little.

What do you think?

An English summer

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Re: An English summer

Andy,
    Very nice and balanced picture.
    Antonio.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Nice shot Andy, if it was me and I hate to crop an image, however I myself would take about the top 1/3rd of the sky out, the subject to my way of thinking is the yellow field and that big sky is not helping it. That is how I would go about the image. Tried one the other day a dark rain sky however I messed up the foreground not sharp enough.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    John

Nice shot Andy. The line of clouds takes you nicely out to the Horizon and there is just interest there to make it work.

A closer crop of the top, and a different image size ratio would certainly change the overall scene and give more apparent depth to the field.

But those clouds are so typical of an English summer sky.

Maybe create two different photos from the original?

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Andy. Nice image.

You might consider doing two things. The first is to lighten the trees a bit. The second, would be a different crop than other suggested above. Consider cropping off 1/3 to 1/2 the bottom yellow flowers between the edge of the photo and the base of the first tree. There are a lot of interesting clouds in the sky, and the yellow flowers are colorful and beautiful, but there is not a lot to look at in the flowers. Cropping off the bottom still leaves plenty of yellow to see. Interestingly, yellow and blue are opposite colors, and they work well in this image.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Wow Andy!

So Vivid. It's almost overpowering for me. I need my sunglasses.

Truly Kewl!

Gretchen

Real Name
    Andy

Thanks for your comments, appreciated. I hadn't considered cropping some off the top. To me it was all about that cloud and using it to take your eye to that gap in the trees on the horizon.

I will have a play with a couple of different crops and see how they look, thanks for the idea.

The scene looks so peaceful, but I went through a bit of stress to capture it! There was a small ditch running between me and the field with only a small edge for me to stand on with a suprisingly busy country road running behind me with cars doing about 50mph as they roared past inches away from me. I needed to get low to the ground to make the most of the yellow but the small area I was standing was mainly stinging nettles. I also had shorts on! Nettles and shorts don't mix well I can tell you. I had to try and flatten a small area for me to crouch in while trying to get low enough to get a good composition plus trying to rotate my polerising filter to the correct position. I also had sunglasses on (prescription) and every time I raised the camera to my eye (I didnt have my tripod with me) it was pushing my glasses against my hot face and steaming up my glasses. My little standing area seemed to be devoid of air and I was rapidly overheating in direct sunlight. I had to wait a while for the cloud to develope and it seemed that every insect in the area decided it wanted my blood or to crawl up my shorts lol. I left with a few decent pictures, lots of stings to the legs, a few itchy insect bites and a lot hotter than I was when I started. But I still think it was worth it :-)