Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Requesting your comments

Real Name
    Gerry

Requesting your comments

Recently posted this in one of the competitions and would like to get some member feedback. What do you like (not like) about this photo? What would make it a better photo?

Happy to hear your suggestions.

Gerry

Requesting your comments

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Requesting your comments

Hi Gerry,

I doubt there is anything wrong with the image. It is nicely balanced and I can see what it is all about.
    Maybe colour would have worked better. I may be wrong but it seems a bit over-processed to me. It might also be the resizing.

Real Name
    Gerry

Thanks for the comment. The color version is appealing (vintage wood, color tags on the mallets, etc). Wondering how you picked up on that?

I remember this one from the competitions; where there has been some stiff competition recently.

Basically works OK, as Andre mentioned.

Possibly I might have preferred a fraction more space below the heads and above the balls. It seems just a little bit 'squashed' to me. But not far out.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Gerry. Ya done good.

There are lots of details shown and the monotone treatment works. You might want to consider another composition. This one is very symmetrical, and I wonder if a little bit of asymmetry would make the image more dynamic. For example, what if you placed one of the balls on the lower rack or maybe added a third ball to the lower rack. Just a thought.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Gerry--

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to focus on. Perhaps more contrast? or processing it in B&W with a single color showing thru? (I forget what that technique is called). There are so many nice angles and textures, I can't see anything I'd crop-out. Perhaps show the colors of the paint stripes on the mallets and balls?

Thanks for posting.

Gretchen