Thread: Good Point & Shoot with viewfinder

Real Name
    Travis

Good Point & Shoot with viewfinder

I shoot with my canon dslr 90% of the time. I also own a canon sx130 p&s that I have shot some very good photos with. Problem..yesterday afternoon at the Phillies game trying to get some shots looking at the screen in the glaring sun I couldn't see a thing. I got some good photos but it was only from my photo instincts. I love the small camera for it's 20x optical zoom range and being able to carry it anywhere but without a viewfinder its' hit or miss. Anyone know of a good p& s with a 20x or great optical zoom range and a viewfinder??

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Good Point & Shoot with viewfinder

Not aware of such a camera.
    You could get a Bridge camera that (might) have a viewfinder and will a large zoom but they're not pocket sized or you can get a viewfinder but lose the big zoom.

Real Name
    Emerson Joseph "Jason" Bautista

Sounds like the OP wants the Canon SX50. SLR-like handling, PASM, 50X zoom, 13 FPS. Small but not pocketable.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx50-hs

That or this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...ix-dmc-fz200/6
    Last edited by verysimplejason; 24th June 2013 at 06:54 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Yes I think the problem is that with pocketable cameras, there's no room for a viewfinder. The Canon SX50 would do the job but it may be a bit large. The Canon G15 has an optical viewfinder but it's only 4X zoom.

Another option you might consider is the Sony DSC-HX50V which doesn't have a built-in viewfinder but has a viewfinder accessory that fits on the flash hot-shoe. See here.

Dave

Real Name
    Greg

Travis, I have been looking for such a camera for a while now. I used to have a tiny Ricoh that had a viewfinder. In fact, I think when I bought it all P&S had view finders, but not now. If they exist today they are very rare. So, I have been scouring ebay for a time machine ...

Real Name
    Zen

I have a Canon G15 and like it. Many adjustables, and good IQ. I suggest you take a look at it.

Good luck.

Zen

Real Name
    Keith

My main camera is a Sony A350 but I also got a Nikon P&S in a camera sale recently which sits in a small pouch on my belt - any camera is better than no camera! The problem I have with the P&S is that there is no OVF and in bright light I can't see the image on the LCD screen so there seems little point in having a camera I can't use! The camera (for what it's worth) in my cellphone is no better.

It seems that my best option might be to get a bridge camera with an EVF as well as the LCD screen, it my be a little big for my pocket but not as big as my DSLR

Real Name
    J stands for John

Perhaps instead of another camera you need simply a hood to fit over the LCD along with a dioptre adjustment ...I made one for my P&S way back and found with just a 3.3Mp camera unless I blurred the focus a little I was seeing the pixels rather than the picture, but othrwise it worked well. My adaption was big and clunky but maybe there are compact hoods around ?
    Good Point & Shoot with viewfinder
    Then there are the Fuji cameras which I read a rave review about with huge crops to equal the long bridge camera lens but sorry I didn't keep a note of the review. Perhaps it was the X20? Though more likely the x100S which is a fixed lens camera.

A Oly PEN with the 14-150 is not pocketable but certainly smaller than a DSLR and the MFT sensor could be cropped for the extra reach desired ... you can also fit an EVF on them then there are likewise the Panasonic GF's with say the 14-140 lens Both would be better than the FZ200 or the SX50 I think.

If you are willing to use more than one pocket the range gets bigger
    Last edited by jcuknz; 29th June 2013 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by travis4567 View Post
    I shoot with my canon dslr 90% of the time. I also own a canon sx130 p&s that I have shot some very good photos with. Problem..yesterday afternoon at the Phillies game trying to get some shots looking at the screen in the glaring sun I couldn't see a thing. I got some good photos but it was only from my photo instincts. I love the small camera for it's 20x optical zoom range and being able to carry it anywhere but without a viewfinder its' hit or miss. Anyone know of a good p& s with a 20x or great optical zoom range and a viewfinder??
    Sony HX50V + EVF accessory. The EVF is pricey and would have to be removed before you pocket the camera. I don't own one, I've just been looking at what's available. I've also read that the Panasonic Lumix ZS30 / TZ40 screen is very good in bright light.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/So...0V/index.shtml

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Google Clear Viewer. This is an attachment that allows you to use the LCD like a view finder. I have not used it myself but did consider it for my old Panny TZ3 which I still have and use sometimes. I did try an LCD shade on that as well but was never really satisfied with the results in bright light. It helped but not was not great.

I know that this is not considered as a 'point and shoot' camera, but I love my FujiFlim X-S1. Not pocket size, but has everything in one package and 26X zoom. Beautiful pictures and one of the premium Fuji X series cameras, quality made in Japan product. My wife loves her Panasonic DMC-ZS20, no viewfinder, but a great little camera. Between us we have everything covered with two great cameras.

Real Name
    Kathy

Probably too pricey, but have you considered maybe going MILC and getting a used Nikon V1 (or V2)? The body is pretty much the same size as your current P&S. You'd have the expense of lenses, but a 80-300 equiv. in a smallish package (not pocketable, granted, unless you're using a pancake lens, but that option is there), and a much more responsive fast-action camera than a bridge cam. Just a thought.