Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Unity Temple Oak Park, IL post #1 C&C always

Real Name
    Gretchen

Unity Temple Oak Park, IL post #1 C&C always

Hey all!

I was lucky enough to attend an even at the Unity Temple in Oak Park, IL --just for those wanting to learn how to best photograph the Temple. . Jim Nedza of designslinger.com said that 80% of the photos he took of the temple that appeared on his blog were taken with a Point and Shoot. It was an informative tour! So, far I've processed one whole picture.

A collection basket in it's resting place under a pew. The Temple is built of concrete. Of all the very interesting design aspects and angles in the building, I found the 100 year old concrete floors and stairs some of the most visually interesting parts.

Unity Temple Oak Park, IL  post #1  C&C always

Don't be shy, I appreciate your honest input.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Unity Temple Oak Park, IL post #1 C&C always

Hi Gretchen,

Did you perhaps miss the focal point here? It seems like the crack in the floor is in focus but the basket is not sharp. Check your focal point!

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Gretchen. I like the colors of the basket and the stone. They go together well. I was wondering if there was another composition where you did not get the light reflections and repositioning the basket. I don't know wasn't there ... but wish I had been. Good eye for seeing something ordinary and making it special.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Ken, I don't think I understand your question. The light reflection on to the concrete is from the spaces in between the pews. The space is lit from a lattice of stained glass in a flat roof and stained glass horizontal windows at the top of the wall. So the light is coming directly from above and the basket is underneath the pew. Here is an unprocessed, yuckky photo of the space:

Unity Temple Oak Park, IL  post #1  C&C always

The basket is underneath the pew underneath the open window.

oh, the pews are on a raised concrete "bed" in the balconies. So the pew is on "bed" is at my "waist" level--perhaps 32 inches from the floor. Does that make sense?

Real Name
    Gretchen

Andrew, I see what you are saying, but that is how I wanted it. I processed the photo in PSE to downplay the basket and bring out the beauty of the concrete.

ggt

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    Ken, I don't think I understand your question.
    Sorry for the confusion, Gretchen. I did not separate my thoughts well. The first thought was would you have been able to find a composition where the light did not reflect so much on the cement. The answer I think is no because, as you showed, the light was from above. I think the colors of the basket and the cement are very compatible but the image would look better without the reflections.

The second thought is is there a different composition with the basket placed differently on the concrete or a slightly different camera location that would result in an even better photo? I don't know the answer because I wasn't there.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Ken, Thank you for your response, sorry it's been so long since I've been to the forum.

For now, I'm going to leave it alone. The basket was as I found it. For some reason the scene "spoke" to me as it was. It's probably not something I can adequately convey with just the picture alone. It's such a special environment. Maybe only those who have been there will "see" what I saw with the basket/concrete space.

Thanks!

ggt

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    Maybe only those who have been there will "see" what I saw with the basket/concrete space.
    Sounds good to me. No need to change it.