Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Granite Mountain on fire

Real Name
    Carol

Granite Mountain on fire

This is a picture of the Doce fire that has been burning this week in Prescott, AZ. I would appreciate comments and suggestions to improve the image, particularly the foreground. Thanks.
    Granite Mountain on fire

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Granite Mountain on fire

Is that lens flare? Using a lens hood may help. It is a nice photo.

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Assuming you want to know what post processing could do for this image we need to know which program you have and how familiar you are with it. I can tell you it is possible to get quite a lot of detail back with Photoshop (even from this small jpeg) but as that is the only program I use I can't help you any others. I am sure there are others on CiC who can.

You can't do much with that black foreground, Carol, except crop slightly tighter to reduce the amount. Possibly lose a little from the left side as well, if you want to retain the same image size ratio.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    You can't do much with that black foreground, Carol, except crop slightly tighter to reduce the amount. Possibly lose a little from the left side as well, if you want to retain the same image size ratio.
    You can do quite a lot with it. Here is a quick 5 minute Photoshop edit. Not perfect by a long way but it does do what's asked. If this was a valuable photo and the only one Carol had and is unrepeatable then she may feel an attempt at salvage is worthwhile. You could do better on a larger file.

The white line at the base of the mountain, BTW, is just my bad use of the paintbrush.

Granite Mountain on fire

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Carol. John is correct in that Photoshop can probably bring out some detail in the darker foreground. If it were my photo, I would leave the top alone and only lighten the foreground a bit, just enough to see some detail.

I would also use the spot healing tool to remove the tiny white dot in the sky.