Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Silver Efex Pro

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Silver Efex Pro

Do I have to have photoshop to use Silver Efex Pro?

I use Corel Paintshop for my photo editing and was wondering if I could process images in Silver Efex to create black and white images. I really want to get into black and white like I used to shoot when I shot film in the 80's and 90's.

One thing I have learned, processing digital pics is a heck of a lot harder than working in a dark room was.

KHarmon

Real Name
    John

Re: Silver Efex Pro

Not sure Kris but their Web Site should tell you. An alternative would be Topaz apps. They have similar effects and they have an app called "Photo FX Lab". It's a sort of desk top into which you can call up your image and then apply any of their other apps on a stand alone basis. I use both Nik and Topaz apps and I like them both.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Everything you see written about it says 'Yes', but the reality is no. It's a bit of a guddle to operate as a stand alone. You have to go to the File Management area (is it still called Microsoft Explorer on a PC with Windows?)*, right click and choose 'Open With' and choose SEP2. Once done, you then have to close that and open it up again in your other software; e,g, Paintshop. I did this for a while, but then bought a cheap copy of and old Elements purely to act as a carrying agenct for SEP2. I'm now running the NIK package from Elements 11.

*EDIT - Just got home and been checking. I see it's now seems to be called the Documents Library.
    Last edited by Donald; 19th June 2013 at 07:48 PM.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Kris,
    It works with Lightroom! The only reason I know that is because I downloaded the Denoise program for a try out (for some noisy bear photos I like) and the trial included all the programs including that one... It was super easy to install... I don't know what I'm doing but after reading your post I hit an auto preset on a bear photo to see if it worked in LR, and indeed it does, and it seems easy to use..
    Last edited by Brownbear; 22nd June 2013 at 08:23 PM.

Real Name
    Jeff

I was able to load all the Nik software in LR5 very easily. Using it is also a snap -> "Photo>Edit In>Silver Efex Pro 2" The other Nik packages were included in the same drop down menu where Silver Efex Pro 2 is listed. I also have PS, and it is also available from that program too.