Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: One Stinkin' decent lightning picture

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

One Stinkin' decent lightning picture

Went out and took some lightning pictures. Had several cloud to ground strikes but my focus was slightly off infinity so they weren't as sharp as I would have liked. This one though, came out pretty good I think.

One Stinkin' decent lightning picture
    061713 lightning 3 by KHarmon1971, on Flickr

Real Name
    Steven

Re: One Stinkin' decent lightning picture

I also think this looks pretty good. Just a thought, you might want to get rid of the CA.

Do you shoot in anticipation the lightning might strike or just press the shutter and hope for the best?

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Quote Originally Posted by teokf View Post
    I also think this looks pretty good. Just a thought, you might want to get rid of the CA.

Do you shoot in anticipation the lightning might strike or just press the shutter and hope for the best?
    I set up ahead of the lightning and shoot in the direction that has the most lightning. During a normal summer storm in this area they are usually small and you can set up out of the path of the storm. The one we had last night was a solid line of storms that ran for a few hundred miles from north to south and was probably a hundred miles wide from east to west. We are supposed to have more this evening, I am hoping it is one of the typical summer storms.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Hello Kris: I very much like this shot. I have never tried to photograph lightning. I am still confused as to how these shots are taken. How, exactly, do you time the shot to the strike? Do you just take several continuous shots and hope that a strike is captured? I like the way the telephone poles, with the cross shape, sort of anchor the photo.