Thread: what camera should i go for?

Real Name
    Annie

what camera should i go for?

Hello, please excuse me for posting a very beginner discussion and if it's been posted before, but i want to start on my photography journey (even already practicing and taking professional looking photographs for families that they would want to order from me). What kind of camera should i go for? And which would be among the best makes and models for me to choose from? and what type of lenses? are there any sites i should look into? My sister already started out as a photographer and she has a Nikon D90, another friend has a Canon D60, another person has a canon T3i. But there are so many brands out there and I'd like to hear everyone's opinion and votes. I'd like to photograph unusual family photos that slightly differ from the way most average photographers take, like different positions and different backgrounds and ideas. I eventually want to tour many beautiful places and take of scenery, and i'm always photographing flowers, close ups, distances, maybe even to take beautiful portraits that would look spectacular. Where do i start? Please give me whatever help and advice you can offer. Many thanks. One more big thing- I like to take many of one kind of picture until i get the perfect one, so i need to snap bunches of photos quickly, so i need a camera that can do that, image quality is important as well as colouring and clarity, that the photos should come out professional looking.

Real Name
    Hans

Re: what camera should i go for?

I think you need to give us a little help first like are you looking for a P&S, a DSLR, or a mirrorless, budget not only for the body but also for future lens purchases, what you are using now, you said your sister has a Nikon will she let you borrow lenses, equipment etc... Cameras are personal choice most people will recommend what they are shooting or are familiar with. I am a Pentax shooter because I had several prime Pentax lenses from my film days so it made sense for me to stay with Pentax.

Hans

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Considering the indformation in this post AND your other post:

Quote Originally Posted by beautiful world View Post
    . . . I want to become a professional photographer and i found this site, and i'm trying to figure out what i need to know to make the transition from a a brand new beginner to an advanced professional one. I'm interested in photographing children, people, and nature. From capturing someone's profile in detail to capturing majestic mountains, or children dancing. Can everyone please give me advice? Thanks. To start with, i need to figure out what is the best DSLR camera to buy.

I suggest that you buy an entry level DSLR with the Kit Lens (18 to 55), either Nikon or Canon: whatever feels best in your hands and whichever's menu and functionality makes sense to you.

Then begin to hone your photography skills, a good way to get feedback is to post them at CiC for comment and critique.

Also as you develop your skills you will be better able to assess and understand what lenses and other equipment you will require: but you need to get out making Photos, first.

WW

Real Name
    Paul

In the sub-$1000.00 category I would suggest either the Nikon D5200 or the Canon EOS Rebel T3i. I would probably suggest the D5200 over the T3i but I may have a slight Nikon preference, too. Still, either would serve you well for a good long time while you are learning the ropes.

In the slightly over $1000.00 category I would suggest either the Nikon D7100 or the Canon EOS 7D. Either will come with a perfectly acceptable "kit lens" that will be fine for learning on. Between these two I would, again, point you toward the Nikon but that's based entirely on the spec' sheet.

Don't get to wrapped in the details at the beginning. Any of those cameras are excellent in their own right, would serve you well and are enough camera teach you all you need to know about photography. Once you understand more about photography in general you'll be better able to decide for yourself what upgrades you need and when you need them.
    Last edited by Horoscope Fish; 17th June 2013 at 02:36 PM.

I would say, Annie, go to somewhere that sells cameras and get a feel for the options first of all.

The better 'bridge cameras' can produce acceptable results at a reasonable cost and are fairly easy to carry around.

DSLR cameras tend to come in two sizes, or three if you include the pro models. Check out how comfortable they are to use. Don't worry about lenses too much at this stage.

Also consider how easy it is to make quick adjustments to your settings during shooting. This assumes you will want to use something other than the full auto option.

For example, I now use the Canon 7D which Paul mentioned. Previously I had the Canon 40D. The 7D is a good well built fairly easy to use body; but some people find this sort of camera too heavy and cumbersome for them and it certainly isn't a 'pocket camera'.

However, personally, I like a heavy piece of kit which I can really get hold of and wouldn't want to use one of those 'fiddly little things' like the Canon 000D range bodies.

Remember there are a number of perfectly good camera manufacturers besides Canon and Nikon.

Your budget may well be a deciding factor.

If you go for a DSLR the next decision will be for lenses. Many people find the 'kit lenses' are all they need but if you expect to become serious about photography it may be better to purchase the body and lenses as separate items instead of an all in package.

This means you purchase exactly the best lens for you, which will last for many years instead of spending money on a 'starter lens' which will quickly get discarded.

So decide on the body first, or a bridge camera with fixed lens, then have a serious think about exactly what you wish to photograph and return here for more discussion about the best lenses to suit you, and your budget.

Real Name
    Bruce

Annie, I believe that everyone has given you decent suggestions; however I believe that Geoff has given you the best direction to go in.
    There are a lot of factors that you have to decide on (e.g. your budget) when purchasing a camera, and finding a good camera store is where I believe you should start.

Bruce

Real Name
    Kathy

Just me, but since you want to take beautiful spectacular portraits, I'd say whatever camera you get?--make sure it has a flash hotshoe. You're going to want to learn lighting.

Real Name
    J stands for John

When you become a successful professional you will appreciate the truth of the statement that photography is a small part of being a professional photographer and the gear is a small part of photography.[ as Kathy Li brilliantly put it elsewhere recently]

Your ingenuity with offbeat portraits will soon, first be copied by others if it is successful, and secondly run out of steam.

My personal choice is a GH2 with 14-140 lens and two or three accessories to enable me to go where the basic kit cannot. I also have a proper editing programme which is of equal importance as the camera.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Annie,

Welcome to the CiC forums - as you can see; we're a friendly, helpful bunch

Quote Originally Posted by beautiful world View Post
    ~ image quality is important as well as colouring and clarity, that the photos should come out professional looking.
    If I could pick up on your last comment, as it is about the only thing no-one has replied to ...

High quality results almost inevitably require some Post Processing work to be carried out on a computer, have you allowed for that in your planning?

You will need a camera capable of recording 'RAW' images, not just jpg. Most DSLR and mirror-less models will, but not all bridge cameras will.

There are no shortcuts - you will need to learn a lot, as many have said, the best way is through practice, so get, or use something as soon as possible, learn enough to be able to answer the questions you've posed yourself in the light of your own experience.

It will also help us help you if we know whereabouts in the world you are; could you Edit your Profile and put where you are (roughly) in the Location field? - thanks.

All the best,

Real Name
    J stands for John

I would refer you to the 'My First Landscape' thread and point out you need a camera which will shoot both raw and jpgs ...the suggestion was that the jpg helps you see what the photo should be like as you play with the raw editing programme.

The professional result comes from knowing what you are doing with your camera and editor and professionals use P&S cameras and jpg when it suits what they are doing.

I can see the value of raw+jpg shooting and was thankful I did it recently as it was from the jpg my results came ... on the other hand if you need a jpg to show you what the raw should look like ... why do people bother with raw

Just as when I got the first version of my editor I was ready to give up for the first month but I had to use it since the alternative cost four times as much and I couldn't afford that ... likewise firstly you need to have good analytical skills to use a programme such as Lightroom which I'm sure will be suggested to you and it will take you some time to achieve good results.

So you need equal practice with both camera and editor ... they are companion tools.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 19th June 2013 at 11:02 AM.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Annie, very simple answer: Nikon D600 with a 70-200mm F2.8 lens.

Edit: PS. Later you can upgrade to a Nikon D4. Annie don't forget the 24-70 F2.8 lens for landscapes, and the 14-24 F2.8 as well.

Budget permitting: get the D4 body and leave the D600.
    Last edited by AB26; 19th June 2013 at 12:42 PM.

Real Name
    Annie

Thank you each and every one of you for your feedback! I'm really grateful for all the help and advice you are offering.

Olympus and panasonic both are providing good products under your budget. With great picture quality and ultimate focusing lens you can capture very good photos.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

All big brand names are good. I had owned a Nikon before but since I was inclined towards astrophotography, I sold that and bought a Canon 550D and then a 60D. All three are great camera's and the 550D never ceases to amaze me. Reason? Software like BackyardEOS supports Canon and a few other software programs. Except for this reason, any brand you pick ought to give you great shots. You need to factor in some good lenses, not necessarily expensive but lenses which have received good reviews. I honestly think today someone intending to buy a Nikon or Canon can't really make a mistake. I would suggest you read up on various models before you make your pick depending on your budget.