Thread: View of Alaska from Train

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

View of Alaska from Train

Sorry that I have not participated for awhile. My wife and I took a cruise tour to Alaska and we rarely had Internet access. When I got home, had tons of photos to process.

This is a view looking out the rear rail car on our train ride from Denali National Park to Talkeetna in Alaska. There was an open section in the car, which was wonderful because there were no reflections from the windows.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

View of Alaska from Train

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: View of Alaska from Train

Nice shot Ken. I like this sort of shot where the railway line leads you away to the distant mountains and you've got some good colours. I took some shots like this on our Canadian Rocky Mountaineer trip last year but the sky wasn't kind to us like it was to you. We were also lucky to have the rear carriage with an open observation area though.

Dave

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Ken,

I like this shot very much. The composition works for me although the image is almost split on the centre line. Cropping away some of the sky gives it a little more impact. You really want to draw the attention of the viewer to the railway track leading to the mountains. Showing more of the track and less of the sky will enhance the image.

Always be very careful in post not to “overdo” it. Adding a tad of contrast and warmth will help to put more punch into the image. Try a portrait crop and see the difference.

A good image with a lot of potential, just play around with it and see what you can get out of it.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I agree with Andre's comments re further improving an already very good image. Good one, Ken

Real Name
    Natalie

I agree with Andre's crop idea, too. What a wonderful view! I took a two week land tour/cruise a year ago, and it was a beautiful state to visit, I would go back again!!

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Yes, the cropping recommendation is a good one. Thank you everyone.