Thread: Door Prairie

Real Name
    Jon

Door Prairie

This is part of the historical society buildings in La Porte Indiana that I drive past every time I am up that way. Well, this time I had a few minutes to kill so I ended up with these shots. Maybe next time I will find out more on the history if this place

C&C always appreciated

1.Door Prairie

2.Door Prairie

3.Door Prairie

And a couple conversions...

not really happy with this one. Kinda flat and not much range.
    4.Door Prairie

...like this one a little bit better
    5.Door Prairie

Real Name
    Steven

Re: Door Prairie

I do like the 4th pix.

Just a question. When I was driving across North Dakota and Montana, I came across some of the farm building (that's what I think it is) to be painted in similar colours, or is it of brighter red in colour. Any reason/s why the farmers choose such a colour?

Real Name
    Jon

Steven, here is a little history on why barns are red..... years ago, choices for paints, sealers and other building materials did not exist. Farmers had to be resourceful in finding or making a paint that would protect and seal the wood on their barns. Hundreds of years ago, many farmers would seal their barns with linseed oil, which is an orange-colored oil derived from the seeds of the flax plant. To this oil, they would add a variety of things, most often milk and lime, but also ferrous oxide, or rust. Rust was plentiful on farms and because it killed fungi and mosses that might grow on barns, was very effective as a sealant. It turned the mixture red in color.

Real Name
    Steve

"This 9-sided barn was built in 1878. It is believed to be the only remaining barn of it kind in the United States."

I found this explanation on Flickr, is it a barn or is it converted to a small school?

I like the last two in colour most. I just love the colour.

Real Name
    John

I dislike utilitarian architecture and it's nice when some one goes the extra mile to create something beautiful as well as functional. This is a special building. Some nice shots as well. My favourite would be the first one but with a tighter crop to give the two buildings more prominence. I also like the close up of the barn but would have preferred it to be positioned on the RHS of the frame so that the lettering over the door was facing into the comp but I guess that would have eliminated that very nice tree on the right. Nice series.

Real Name
    Jim

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jon,

I like #1 and #2 best, in colour, as Steve says, is better for these.

On #2 I'd be tempted to have just a little more across the lower edge, say add 3 - 5% image height by 'loosening' the crop a little.

#3 doesn't work for me because it lacks the balance provided by the tree John noted - and perhaps has too much foreground?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Jon

Thank you all for your comments, they are much appreciated. I will have a go at the suggestions this weekend when I have time...I have plenty of room on the originals.

Steve, it is still in a barn configuration but they hold field trips for the kiddies for educational purposes.

Real Name
    Steven

Jon, thanks for the very interesting history. Now I can go and explain to my missus We debated a fair bit during the drive 8)