Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Me and my gal, the Common Sandpiper

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Me and my gal, the Common Sandpiper

Me and this little gal (I'm guessing it's a she), spent an hour together on a rocky beach on the island of Gigha last week. I don't think I was alarming her in any way. I suspect a nest was quite close by somewhere, but she didn't seem to see me as a threat.

Anyway, as any of you who've been around here for a while know, I am not a wildlife photographer. Or, to put that another way, I am not a competent wildlife photographer. And because I know that, I am in total awe of some of the wildlife photography that we see on here, particularly, for example, birds in flight.

So ......... I reverted to what I know and, I think, do best and sought to make what were in effect landscape images , but which featured a bird in them. That's my excuse anyway for why the bird fills such a small proportion of the whole image!

Anyway, here I present them as a set (not something I normally like or do) just for your perusal and any general comment you care to make as to whether the idea works or not.

They were shot with a Canon 40D with a Sigma 120-400 F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS on board. ISO was at 800 and shutter was from 1/2000 to 1/4000, all at f5.6.

Last edited by Donald; 13th June 2013 at 04:58 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Me and my gal, the Common Sandpiper

Welcome to the world of birds....

Superb image in #1 and #2 well balanced and composed.

#2 minor suggestion - remove the large rock on the right which is interrupting the sloping flow of the other rocks. This will help reduce some of the white space at top which seems a bit too much. The bird and slope will then take greater prominence and will balance with the featureless white top.

#3 is pretty good too but the rocks (beautiful as they are) are overpowering the bird. Also it is not apparent what he is agitated about. Perhaps a closer crop will help.

$4 - viewed large looks ok but again bird is too small relative to the rocks. Might be better if he was on the smaller rock.

Real Name
    Bruce

Donald, a nice collection. I particularly like the second photo, and agree with Bobo about perhaps cropping off the rock in the bottom right corner.

Real Name
    Greg

I like the first two, Donald. I think the first one works as a 'landscape' - there is something of a balance between the rock on the left and the bird on top of the rock on the right.

The second one is a great pose. I have given up on BiFs because I am just too slow, and have found I am not much better at brids just walking around. So I think this is a good catch.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you guys.

Good suggestions and advice highlight things for me that I hadn't seen. Will take your comments on board.

Real Name
    Bruce

Way to go Donald. My BIF photos are non-existant.

Bruce

Real Name
    Joe

Smiles... a convert Donald?

Real Name
    Dan

I saw this thread a couple of days ago and am just getting enough downtime to catch up and take a look. I agree with others in prefering the first two. But in the context of a landscape style image I like the first one best due to the static nature of the bird. The color on the rocks (lichen?) is awesome. I think many times us bird geeks get too enthralled with filling the frame with bird and miss out on this type of opportunity. I can assure you had I been there rather than take advantage of the situation as you did I would have been obsessed with inching closer, and closer.....

Nicely done.

Real Name
    John

1 and 2 for me as well Donald. There's nothing more relaxing - even if you don't actually press the shutter button.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'm very honoured all you bird photography guys have come in and commented. Much appreciated .......... and helpful.

Real Name
    Steve

I also like the first one best, and agree with dan. Most wildlifer's are obsessed with long lenses and close-ups. I much prefer a well balanced image with a nice background , to a close-up. (when I say well balanced, I mean the subject takes up enough of the frame to be relevant). These types of images are much harder to come by, in my opinion. You have to have a great background , and the wildlife to pull it off..........................well done, donald.

Real Name
    Matthew

Donald, very nice! Not much to add to what others have said; I like the approach you took with the wider/landscape type of shot. Graphically attractive due to the silky background, nice textures, and the awesome lichen. Interesting to see how someone handles a subject that they don't typically work with much....speaking of which: [Insert Darth Vader voice] Come....to....the...wildlife-side