Thread: Movement - Burring: studying how

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Movement - Burring: studying how

Studying how to get that motion - blurring, editing.
    Pictures taken at the Sunday 9Jun2013 parade along Sta Monica Blvd cor La Jolla Dr.
    L.A. , Ca. Nikon D5100/55-200mm. edited in viewNX2/Helicon filter 5

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Movement - Burring: studying how

Beautiful images Victor. I especially like #1 for the blurred onlookers and sharp dancer.

I don't know anything about this type of photography, except what I do by mistake to my birds.

Real Name
    Richard

I like the feeling of these images. I tend to like images when the subject is sharp and the background is blurred from panning or when the background is sharp and ths subject is blurred by using a slower shutter speed.

It is easier for me to get a sharp image panning a car or some other vehicle than a runner or horse because the movement of the car is only in one direction while the runner or horses legs and arms (in the case of the runner) are movng in different direction...

I want to experiment with the last technique of a slower shutter speed to blur the subject in Turkey when I photograph the Sufi Dancers (Whirling Dervish) ceremony. The dancers wear white robes and hopefully will be shot against a dark background.

Here are some examples of what I am talking about...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sufi...w=1280&bih=582

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I think the study is good in so far as it will give reference points apropos: Shutter Speed; Type and Direction of Movement Blur.

I think that the specific shooting scenario (that particular street “marching” scene) does not give a generally conducive set of shots where Subject Movement blur will enhance the image.

For example IF one of the dancers stopped their forward (walking) movement and performed a part of the ‘dance’ which was the interpretation of spearing an animal - then Subject Movement Blur could enhance that Photographic Vision.

Similarly, if one of the Subjects were to make rapid head movements that would be a good opportunity . . . Etc . . .

WW

Real Name
    J stands for John

Most seem to be writing about shutter speed while it appears to me that the blurr is being added afterwards. It is interesting how crowd close to dancer is sharper than people standing beside him, the guy sitting on the curb. The other point is that in real life I would expect the roadway to be sharper as it got closer to camera, perhaps I am wrong there and the problem is slight over-exposure washing out texture. Images 2 and 1 respectively.

I see most editing as an acceptance or rejection of what looks natural or doesn't. Colour fidelity which seems to pre-occupy most people is largely irrelevant to me if it looks AOK but what is a realistic depiction of what it could have been like given how cameras behave is the important consideration.

EDIT To go further I try to avoid having white out of focus as it seems to me that highlights out of focus attract attention, Photo One the couple with blue jeans and the child and adult a couple to their left. You are not shooting an advert for Persil so a toning down, greying, of their t-shirts would stop them being a distraction from the beautifully sharp dancer. In a cluttered scene such as this where the main subject is quite small in frame one needs to avoid distractions from her.

Another situation comes to mind, Bill likely will remember this .. a series of commercial shots featuring nude figures set to 'Old Master' paintings by an Australian photographer where he organised his models sitting/lying on replicas of the immediate area of the OM. The relevance of that to here is that ideally one uses the right camera technique to blurr the immediate surround of the subject which can then be enhanced in editing to avoid the labour of going around a fussy outlined subject and/or the 'cut-out' look.
    I think there is merit in my lazy person's approach of using a soft erase brush in erasing from the top layer the areas I want sharp to be seen in the lower layer
    Last edited by jcuknz; 11th June 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

An afterthought, but the meaning is the same as in the previous comment.

I understand the purpose of this thread is to interrogate and explore subject movement blur, but if we might put that aim aside for one moment and just look at how we might address (interpret) this Street Parade and the main Subject in it.

What I see when I look at this scene:

The woman herself; her garb; the colours are all ‘strong’ – we could describe all those aspects as being “in a Major Key”.
    Secondly the dynamic of the scene is closer to “forte and with emphasis” and not “pianissimo and lyrically flowing”.

So – when I first looked at the scene (not the images but “the scene”) my mind automatically jumped to the following (Technical) applications to ENHANCE my Photographic Interpretation:

“Mid tele lens – close shots – get facial expression – capture force of hand and legs movements – no blur, watch shutter speed – shallow DoF, isolate subject , get position where light is across muscle and or body contours to emphasise same . . .”

WW