Real Name
    Andre Burger

Just Relax:

Early morning smoke break:

C&C welcome

Just Relax:

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Just Relax:

Nice concept. Consider making it with a softer shadow produced by a relatively larger light source, placing diffuser material between the light and the subject, or both.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Thanks Mike.
    I am not sure about the larger light source as it was shot in direct early morning sunlight. You think a bit of a reflector, out of the picture to the left, would help to soften the shadow? I will sure try that.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I mentioned a relatively large light source. Relative size is a function of the size of the light source itself and its distance from the subject. Though the sun is huge, it is a relatively small light source because it is so far away from the subject. It is that relatively small size that produces strong, highly defined shadows with strong edges.

If you turn on a lamp and place it close to the subject, you'll see that a softer shadow is produced. That's because the relative size of the lamp is so much larger thanks to being so close to the subject. As you move the lamp away from the subject, you'll see the shadow become more and more defined. That's because the relative size of the light source is becoming smaller and smaller.

Using a reflector to cast light onto the shadow will lighten the shadow. However, if I understand the concept correctly, it will not soften the edges of the shadow created by the sun. The result will be a lighter shadow with the same hard edges. Keep in mind that I would have to test this to be absolutely sure.

Placing a diffuser between the light source and the subject spreads the angles of light in so many directions that the result is a relatively larger light source. Clouds have the same effect on the sun as diffuser material has on a light bulb, which explains why shadows are so less defined on a cloudy day.

All of this is explained very well with many photos providing effective demonstrations in Light: Science and Magic.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 10th June 2013 at 03:21 PM.