Thread: LR5 released

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

LR5 released

Just in case you were waiting!!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: LR5 released

This is the unscrupulous side of Adobe that everyone complains about. I don't know if the complaints are usually justified but I do know that they are in this case. Last week Adobe put Lightroom 4 on sale ending Saturday for USD $100, a discount from USD $150. I wake up Monday morning to see that Lightroom 5 is now released at the same full price of USD $150. I can upgrade for a price of USD $80. Thanks to having purchased Lightroom 4 on sale for USD $100, my total cost of licensing Lightroom 5 will be USD $30 greater than if I had not purchased Lightroom 4 two days ago. I haven't even downloaded Lightroom 4, much less used it.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    This is the unscrupulous side of Adobe that everyone complains about. I don't know if the complaints are usually justified but I do know that they are in this case. Last week Adobe put Lightroom 4 on sale ending Saturday for USD $100, a discount from USD $150. I wake up Monday morning to see that Lightroom 5 is now released at the same full price of USD $150. I can upgrade for a price of USD $80. Thanks to having purchased Lightroom 4 on sale for USD $100, my total cost of licensing Lightroom 5 will be USD $30 greater than if I had not purchased Lightroom 4 two days ago. I haven't even downloaded Lightroom 4, much less used it.
    Sucked right in, Mike. Are you blaming Adobe for your 'I can get something cheaper' approach? Stay with 4. Live with it. Keep in mind, it was your decision. No-one put a gun to your head. You thought you were going to save a buck and it cost you more in the long run. This has got to tell you something

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Tom,

With all due respect, I really, truly am not going to benefit from a lecture advising me that the decision was mine and that nobody forced or coerced me to make it. I already knew that before you posted your message.

It's now clear to me that Adobe planned to release version 5 one or two days after their sale of version 4 ended. I of course realize that I can stay with version 4 and achieve my goal of saving money. The fact that I can do that doesn't change the situation that it's also clear to me that this is an unscrupulous business practice. I have spent about 35 years in sales and I would never sell a product or service that is subject to such unscrupulous management decisions.

Just my opinion.

Real Name
    Bruce

I checked with Dell (my software supplier), and they related that LR5 was not out yet. Correct me if I am wrong.

Bruce

Real Name
    Adrian Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I checked with Dell (my software supplier), and they related that LR5 was not out yet. Correct me if I am wrong.

Bruce
    Available, downloaded, using right now.

Cheers,
    Ady

I was all excited at first as they added a feature with the adjustment brush: a single click and the first one could be duplicated (I've been using LR beta 5 since the middle of April).

What I found:

1) The first brush cannot be accessed to edit without deleting the second one.

2) I had hoped for HSL adjustments in the brush - nope.

3) It was buggy on my Win7 machine, and even with a very small catalogue, it seems slower, or at least no better as some have claimed.

What features are other users finding that makes it worth the upgrade price over LR4.4?

Here is the complete list of additional features published by Adobe:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/2013/0...room-5-0-beta/

It looks like a long list of improvements at first glance; after a month using it seems more like an ad-writer's exercise.

Is this somewhat akin to CS - (trying to squeeze out more profit)?

Glenn

Real Name
    Bruce

It's now clear to me that Adobe planned to release version 5 one or two days after their sale of version 4 ended. I of course realize that I can stay with version 4 and achieve my goal of saving money. The fact that I can do that doesn't change the situation that it's also clear to me that this is an unscrupulous business practice.
    I agree.

Real Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    I agree.
    As do I.
    You cannot make an informed choice about buying something if the seller is withholding information!

Real Name
    tom dinning

Tom,

With all due respect, I really, truly am not going to benefit from a lecture advising me that the decision was mine and that nobody forced or coerced me to make it. I already knew that before you posted your message.

It's now clear to me that Adobe planned to release version 5 one or two days after their sale of version 4 ended. I of course realize that I can stay with version 4 and achieve my goal of saving money. The fact that I can do that doesn't change the situation that it's also clear to me that this is an unscrupulous business practice. I have spent about 35 years in sales and I would never sell a product or service that is subject to such unscrupulous management decisions.

Just my opinion.
    No need to be respectful, Mike. I was having a laugh at your expense. And all the others who fall into this trap. Cameras, cars, clothes, computers, software, the list goes on. I bought a car last year, at discount price of course. Three months later a new model comes out. No one tells me these things but logic tells me its highly likely. In fact I wait for these times to buy things, knowing full well I'm just part of the system of commerce. Like you, I don't need a new car let alone a new model. LR 3 will probably have done for a while longer. PS6 doesn't do much more than PS5. My D3 is greedily looking forward to having a D4 to copulate with in the camera bag. Suggesting Adobe's decisions are unscrupulous because you wouldn't do it is ludicrous.
    I think your indignation is showing because its going to cost you another $30 to look like everyone else. That's OK. Fancy admitting to people on this site you still use LS3. Shame job.
    Now, I'm off to buy a new coat. The one I have is so 2012. I hope they have a sale.

Real Name
    Dave

Whatever, I will stick to my maxim of never buying a .0 release. It will always appear when the marketing folks think it will make the most dollars, not when the engineers think it is ready (which is, of course, always tomorrow )

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Whatever, I will stick to my maxim of never buying a .0 release. It will always appear when the marketing folks think it will make the most dollars, not when the engineers think it is ready (which is, of course, always tomorrow )
    A wise man has spoken.