Thread: Cheering myself up

Real Name
    tom dinning

Cheering myself up

After all that I decided it was time to be cheerful. Posting a few cliches is as good a way as any.

Cll it eye candy.

Cheering myself up

Cheering myself up

Cheering myself up

Cheering myself up

Cheering myself up

Real Name
    Jon

Re: Cheering myself up

Tom, I could stare at the first image for hours. They are all very nice images but the first one grabs a hold of me and there is no fight to get away.

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful images Tom. My favourites are #1 and #5.

#1 is truly stunning and if you have the time to share anything about this particular photo, I would love to hear more about this shot.

Thank you.

Real Name
    Sergio

All are great, Tom. #1 would work great as a desktop wallpaper. I love the perspective of #3. The lighting on both 4 and 5 are wonderful.

Sergio

Real Name
    Steve

#1 is awesome. All are great.

Real Name
    Gretchen

*sigh*

Just beautiful!

Real Name
    Bruce

If I took those photographs, I would definitely be cheered up. Nice job Tom.

Bruce

Real Name
    mark

All very good! for me #s 1 & 3 The first is just beautiful !

Real Name
    tom dinning

Now I feel better. That conversation with Andre was putting me in a fierce state of homicidal depression.

As for how I 'do' the photos, that's not an easy question to answer.
    Each photo starts as a concept, an idea, a picture in my head, usually stimulated by some weird dream or a "what if?" situation. It'll play around in my head for a week or so and eventually I'll go find what I need and put it together. Most days I couldn't retrace my steps if I tried. Most days I don't want to. It's the thought processes and the tools that go together at the time. I just keep going until I have what I want - or not.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you Tom.

I find your photos intriguing. I'm puzzled by some of them, as it seems that you are deliberately flouting typical photography convention as I still have a lot to learn. For example, I can't figure out what you are trying to share in some of your unconventional blurry photos. It would be nice if you have the time, to include a comment now and then, for others to learn from.

That each of your photos starts as a concept, an idea or a picture in your head is great to know, and something to learn from, ie; developing artistically and telling a story. Thank you for sharing.

With respect to the "how to" could you share a little bit about your concept for the first photo in this thread. The composition and the colours are stunning. The water is as smooth as glass, and dark (just like the sky) and then you have the beautiful light on the dark line of the horizon leading one to a seemingly special place...

My interpretation but I would love to know your concept for the first photo in this thread. Also is this particular photo close to as photographed, or does it also involve a high degree of editing skill.

Thank you and truly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdinning View Post

As for how I 'do' the photos, that's not an easy question to answer.
    Each photo starts as a concept, an idea, a picture in my head, usually stimulated by some weird dream or a "what if?" situation. It'll play around in my head for a week or so and eventually I'll go find what I need and put it together. Most days I couldn't retrace my steps if I tried. Most days I don't want to. It's the thought processes and the tools that go together at the time. I just keep going until I have what I want - or not.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Thank you Tom.

I find your photos intriguing. I'm puzzled by some of them, as it seems that you are deliberately flouting typical photography convention as I still have a lot to learn. For example, I can't figure out what you are trying to share in some of your unconventional blurry photos. It would be nice if you have the time, to include a comment now and then, for others to learn from.

That each of your photos starts as a concept, an idea or a picture in your head is great to know, and something to learn from, ie; developing artistically and telling a story. Thank you for sharing.

With respect to the "how to" could you share a little bit about your concept for the first photo in this thread. The composition and the colours are stunning. The water is as smooth as glass, and dark (just like the sky) and then you have the beautiful light on the dark line of the horizon leading one to a seemingly special place...

My interpretation but I would love to know your concept for the first photo in this thread. Also is this particular photo close to as photographed, or does it also involve a high degree of editing skill.

Thank you and truly appreciated.
    Hi Christina.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Concept photography is like anything else except it doesn't have a lot to do with reality except that its all we have to work with. Concepts can include things like explanations, aesthetics, ethics, philosophy, and down right bunkem, depending on your point of view. I might want to record the fierceness of Darwin weather and rush down to the coast next time a storm passes by and take a few shots. But that may not be enough for what's going through my head. I might be scared ****less of storms so I want to exaggerate that quality. How? Use my imagination and current skills to paint a picture inside my head, figure out how to do it and when. Get the picture(s) I need and put it to print.

It might turn out something like this.

Cheering myself up
    _DSC4451 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

On another day I might be in an entirely different frame of mind with a new concept in mind, suggested by other ideas and thought processes. This might bring me to this:

Cheering myself up
    _D3S3831 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Each photo is characterised by its framing, PoV, timing, focus and elements of design such as colour, tone, placement. You can learn a few things about this by looking at other people's photos and asking the right questions. Certainly knowing about the camera, lens, pixels and cropping is part of that but a very small and sometimes insignificant part. The most important part is to establish an outcome and head towards that. Some people call it Vision. Call it what you like. It's what you are and don't be frightened of it just because it may not conform. Learn how to use the camera, then do with it what you want. It doesn't hurt a bit.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for sharing your world of photography, providing insight into your work, and several words of wisdom.

I look forward to viewing more of your photos, and will do so with a new perspective. I think your work is a great reminder of the importance of developing our artistic side and a vision. Thank you for that.

"Bunkem" - I had to look that word up.

PS Fabulous photos, these two.... thank you for sharing
    Last edited by Brownbear; 9th June 2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: add comment