Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: ND Filters

Real Name
    Ron

ND Filters

These seem to be very useful for eg longer exposures in bright light eg water effects etc. But they are rather expensive here in Norway for a piece of 'smoked glass!'
    Are there alternatives that work OK?
    Ron

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: ND Filters

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    These seem to be very useful for eg longer exposures in bright light eg water effects etc. But they are rather expensive here in Norway for a piece of 'smoked glass!'
    Are there alternatives that work OK?
    Ron
    Hi Ron,

They're expensive here in New Zealand too - welcome to the world of photography! The only ND filter that I ever use is a Singh-Ray Vari-ND - there are cheaper solutions, but you'll need several of them and even then you can run into vignetting issues.

The only work-around is to take multiple images of the scene and combine them in Photoshop - but the total shutter time needs to add up to the total exposure that you would have taken had you had an ND filter attached (eg is the slowest you can go without an ND filter is 1 sec - and you wanted a 30 second shot (simulating a 5-Stop ND) then you'll need to take 30 shots.

It does work well though ... this image is a 15 shot composite ...

ND Filters

Real Name
    Ron

Great shot Colin ... and this is an Aussie (now living in Norway) saying this to a Kiwi!
    Thanks for your input ... looks like I am going to have to dig into the pension funds again! have to chat up the wife for Christmas gift!
    Regards
    Ron

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Colin (and others)

A few days ago I wrote about dipping my toe (and wallet) into the world of ultra wide-angles (it's looking more like the Tokina 11-16 f2.8).

Have been reading lots about whether or not filters can go onto this. As usual, there are strong opinions on both sides. Some, who say that like me they always put on a protector (e.g. UV) and leave it on, say they wouldn't do so on a ultra WA.

So ......

If you always put a protector on your lenses, would you do so on an ultra WA?
    Could you go with a Cokin Z holder on an 11-16 lens for GNDs?
    Or are you in the camp that says - don't put a filter on an ultra WA?

Advice welcome. Don't want to spend if I shouldn't.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Colin (and others)

A few days ago I wrote about dipping my toe (and wallet) into the world of ultra wide-angles (it's looking more like the Tokina 11-16 f2.8).

Have been reading lots about whether or not filters can go onto this. As usual, there are strong opinions on both sides. Some, who say that like me they always put on a protector (e.g. UV) and leave it on, say they wouldn't do so on a ultra WA.

So ......

If you always put a protector on your lenses, would you do so on an ultra WA?
    Could you go with a Cokin Z holder on an 11-16 lens for GNDs?
    Or are you in the camp that says - don't put a filter on an ultra WA?

Advice welcome. Don't want to spend if I shouldn't.
    Hi Donald,

I can't speak for the Tokina as I'm a Canon shooter. My widest lens (14mm) doesn't have a UV filter because the front element has about the same curvature as a tennis ball, and it's not physically possible to fit one. With my widest zoom though (the EF16-35mm F2.8L USM II) I have a Heliopan SH-PMC filter on it a lot of the time. Vignetting isn't a problem, although I understand that one of the reasons Canon went to 82mm diameter (up from 77mm) was increased safety margin in that area.

Having said all that though I DO remove it when using other filters (which then take over the "protection" role. UV + ND or UV + GND or even ND + GND WILL give vignetting at wider angles, but I can only speak for Canon 1Ds3 / Ef16-35/2.8L combo - no idea about Tokina tolerances.

At the end of the day vignetting is just another thing that has to be managed; a certain amount can be fixed in PP - beyond that if you need the likes of ND and GND then other than taping GND on with duck tape or using rubber bands (or hand-holding) then - unfortunately - you'll have reached the limites of the technology (unless you want to get into stacking etc) (stacking is great if you have a winning image, but you can also waste a LOT of frames if you're not sure).

Not a fan of Cokin either I'm afraid - I use Lee filter holders - but make sure you get the 4" wide filters which ever way you go.

Does this help?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Great shot Colin ... and this is an Aussie (now living in Norway) saying this to a Kiwi!
    Thanks for your input ... looks like I am going to have to dig into the pension funds again! have to chat up the wife for Christmas gift!
    Regards
    Ron
    Thanks Ron, (or "G'day Mate")

Although to be honest, it's not one of my better ones

I use Singh-Ray filters exclusively - but they are expensive. If you can afford a Vari-ND then you're set for life as it's incredibly versatile.

I was in your capital a few week ends ago (Wellington)

(Old Kiwi humour)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Colin (and others)

I have just picked up the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 after much deliberation, have been too busy (at work) to use it in anger apart from a few 'backyard test shots'. Looks great to me and gets very good reviews on the net. Hopefully put it to use over the next couple of weeks on a trip around the South Island.

I too am interested in the filter options for this lens, in particular a ND or GND of some description, had a look at the singh-ray Colin - yikes 550 NZD!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H View Post

I too am interested in the filter options for this lens, in particular a ND or GND of some description, had a look at the singh-ray Colin - yikes 550 NZD!
    Have a look at mine when you get up this way and see what you think

Hi,
    Donald,I use Tokina 12-24 mm with Cokin Z holder and GDN filters.There is no vignetting due to holder on my lens.This holder has the possibility to take off a part or more.Of course like other Cokin/Lee holders it can be put on the lens with the "back side"in front of the lens to support the filter.
    I hope this will help You.
    Thank You for reading
    Radu Dinu