Thread: Sunset C & C

Real Name
    Josh

Sunset C & C

Greetings all. I finally made it out to get a sunset on one of the few nice evenings in a while. When I view initially in LR4 and it looks ok. But if I export and put it on a bigger screen (i.e. desktop wallpaper) it gets a little fuzzy. Curious for your input on what may be causing this. I had it set up on a tripod and was using a wireless remote to avoid shaking the camera. In addition to that if there is other C&C that people see I would appreciate everyone's input!

Thanks
    Josh

Tinypics image:
    Sunset C & C
    Last edited by Josh; 5th June 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Sunset C & C

Is there any way to make your photo larger so we could view it better?

Real Name
    Dan

It's too small and you haven't provided enough info for an opinion on the fuzziness. In general you've got some nice color in there but need to emphasize it. Maybe a pano crop eliminating some dead space top and bottom.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Josh and welcome. It looks like you've sorted out how to post a decent size image now. It might help us comment on the lack of sharpness you mention if you let us know what settings you used (particularly aperture) and what sort of camera. Also how did you focus ? Did you use AF or manual ?

Dave

Real Name
    Josh

My camera settings were: manual mode: Aperture f/16, Shutter Speed 2 seconds, ISO 100. Thanks everyone for your input.

Josh

Real Name
    Josh

Sorry I forgot to add I was on Auto Focus.

Real Name
    Dan

Josh, at 2s shutter the "fuzziness" is likely do to vibration unless you had a high quality tripod AND used a remote release/timer AND there was no wind. Also if you were using a IS/VR lens that doesn't have a tripod mode then the IS/VR can cause what appears to be vibration if you don't turn it off when using a tripod.

Real Name
    Josh

I do have a good quality tripod and used a wireless remote. However my lens does have VR on it and I bet that it was turned on when taking these pics. What's the standard for that. If I am on a tripod have it turned off??

Thanks again

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I do have a good quality tripod and used a wireless remote. However my lens does have VR on it and I bet that it was turned on when taking these pics. What's the standard for that. If I am on a tripod have it turned off??

Thanks again
    The safe bet is to turn it off I think. But it depends on your lens. You'll need to look up the specs on the lens to determine what is recommended for it. If it's an older lens, it probably needs to be turned off.

Real Name
    John

Josh, with a 2 sec shutter speed, mirror slap might also be a problem particularly if, as your use of VR suggests, you were using a telephoto. I don't know what camera you were using, but Nikon recognise this and my D7000 has a "Mirror Up" mode. For shots like this, the mirror is lifted and the shutter delayed slightly to allow the camera to settle. Auto focus will cause the same problem. The torque from the focus motor can introduce some vibration at the point of exposure. If you give the camera a few moment to settle on a half shutter press before fully depressing the shutter button to fire the shutter, it can help (not sure whether a wireless trigger lets you do this). Learned this from some one who is a keen Astro Photographer.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Josh for a fairly low light shot like this I would normally use manual focus to avoid any problems with AF not working as expected. Put the camera in Live View mode, magnify the display x10 and shift the displayed area to the area in the scene you want to focus on. Then you can get a nice fine adjustment with the lens focus ring. In this case, I would have used the trees on the left hand side. Then when you shoot, the mirror will already be up and you avoid any disturbance from that as well.

Dave

Real Name
    Josh

Thank you. I will test that out!

I appreciate the help!

Real Name
    Kevin

The question of leaving on or turning off the IS during a tripod shot is predicated on a rock-solid tripod. I have a big heavy tripod that I use indoors, so with no wind, no vibration I turn the IS off. My travel tripod is carbon fiber, very light, and can generate visible vibrations for over 4 secs with button manipulation or a touch of wind. With this tripod I leave the IS turned on. Seems to work this way.