Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Green Box Mode

Green Box Mode

I've had a Canon 10D now since 2003. Haven't used it much as it's not waterproof.

Anyway I was asked if I would sell it. Looked at what it would fetch and decided to keep it. Asked if it had the functions found on modern kit I had to admit that 'no' it really is a bit ancient for that. Auto ISO was mentioned and how handy it is for some occasions.

After the fella left me I started to fiddle with the controls. Put a 40STM lens on it and put it into green box mode - you know the one nobody want's to admit using Well I tried to alter the ISO and it came up 'ISO Auto' on the top screen! So Canon has had Auto ISO since 2003? Never knew that.

Another thing too; the flash in green box mode works extremly consistently too.

There, I've admitted to using green box mode so does that make me a beginner once again?

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Green Box Mode

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Asked if [the EOS 10D] had the functions found on modern kit I had to admit that 'no' it really is a bit ancient for that. Auto ISO was mentioned and how handy it is for some occasions.

After the fella left me I started to fiddle with the controls. Put a 40STM lens on it and put it into green box mode - you know the one nobody want's to admit using Well I tried to alter the ISO and it came up 'ISO Auto' on the top screen! So Canon has had Auto ISO since 2003? Never knew that.
    The EOS 10D camera will select the ISO automatically when it is in ANY of the Basic Camera Modes, including 'The Green Box' which is Full Auto.

I believe this is so with ALL EOS cameras, which have any of the Basic Camera Modes.

It is likely that the phrase "Auto ISO" to which the fella was referring was a newer functionality "Auto ISO" which can be used in the Creative Camera Modes - i.e. Tv; Av; P and M.

WW

Bill,

Yes, that's right he was referring about auto ISO across the whole range of functions. It's strange but I never hardly used the camera and when I did it was for remote shooting in churches as it and the 40D are quieter than the 1-series.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Indeed! The EOS 10D is a remarkably quiet camera.

The EOS 10D is an anomaly of the EOS Series, in several ways . . .

No doubt you giggle when you read advice in forums that EF-S lenses fit all the Canon APS-C Format Cameras.

WW

Real Name
    Richard

I loved my 10D... Perhaps because it was my first DSLR and was a major step up from the Olympus 5050Z which was my previous digital camera.

The one thing which I did not like about the 10D was that it could not work with EFs lenses (that didn't come along in the xxD series cameras until the 20D was introduced) but, I had no problems with using only EF lenses until the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens came down the pike. When that lens was introduced, I purchased a 30D and used the 10D and 30D for a long while as my pair of cameras.

I virtually wore out the 10D and it needed several repairs, including a new hotshoe (which had been bent) and a new LCD screen (which was cracked). The reason that the 10D was so beaten up is that I used it (along with a 50mm f/1.8 Mk-I lens) any time in which the venue was dangerous for a camera . The trusty old 10D finally found its way back to Canon as a trade it for my first 7D using the Canon USA Loyalty Program...

When I was using the Olympus 5050Z, I always reverted to my Canon A-1 and AE-1P film cameras for any "serious" shooting. However after I purchased the 10D, I never shot anoher frame of film.

I am glad that I was not a miser and that I pruchased the 10D with 28-135mm IS lens instead of the DigiReb 300D with 18-55mm kit lens which was the other choice in affordable DSLR cameras when I evolved to DSLR shooting...

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Indeed! The EOS 10D is a remarkably quiet camera.

The EOS 10D is an anomaly of the EOS Series, in several ways . . .

No doubt you giggle when you read advice in forums that EF-S lenses fit all the Canon APS-C Format Cameras.

WW
    Yes, then take a hacksaw and follow someone called Bob Atkins suggestion and hacksaw the bit off that gets in the way ... umm, not something I'd recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

I am glad that I was not a miser and that I pruchased the 10D with 28-135mm IS lens instead of the DigiReb 300D with 18-55mm kit lens which was the other choice in affordable DSLR cameras when I evolved to DSLR shooting...
    Actually I did buy the 300D before and it's what made me get the 10D. Sold the 300D to a friend and he sold it to his Brother, who sold it to his neice (being the oldest Daughter of the friend I sold it to) and is now being used by my friend's Wife to this day. I think I'll just buy the poor damn thing back now to stop it getting dizzy ...