Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Garden wall

Real Name
    tom dinning

Garden wall

Garden wall

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Re: Garden wall

Hi Tom. Cool image. Needs different title. If you can get rid of the green smudge in the upper left corner I would do it. Also, I think the picture is slightly tilted to the right.

Karm

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    Hi Tom. Cool image. Needs different title. If you can get rid of the green smudge in the upper left corner I would do it. Also, I think the picture is slightly tilted to the right.

Karm
    The 'green smudge' as you call it, Karm, is part of the garden behind the wall. Its as important as anything else in the garden.
    I think its your computer thats tilted. I'll send you a spirit level.
    The title is bluntly purposeful as well. Give it some thought. Can you suggest reasons why it would be called this and not something really stupid like ''The Lottery Seller' or 'Passing Traffic'.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by tomdinning View Post
    The 'green smudge' as you call it, Karm, is part of the garden behind the wall. Its as important as anything else in the garden.
    Shame on you Tom, Karm has probably not seen the green “smudge” to be a net that could be an indication that the garden behind the wall is probably a bird sanctuary or a Koi breeding facility.

Should I comment on this image? Why? You know what you wanted to do with the image. I would like to see the exif so I can learn something. Shutter speed? Tripod or not?

Aha, you want me to think and work it out for myself! Very small aperture, probably had to use an ND filter, around 1sec shutter speed. Tripod and lots of patience waiting for two scooters to pass at exactly the right moment? Focus on the wall and not on the “Lottery Seller”?

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Shame on you Tom, Karm has probably not seen the green “smudge” to be a net that could be an indication that the garden behind the wall is probably a bird sanctuary or a Koi breeding facility.

Should I comment on this image? Why? You know what you wanted to do with the image. I would like to see the exif so I can learn something. Shutter speed? Tripod or not?

Aha, you want me to think and work it out for myself! Very small aperture, probably had to use an ND filter, around 1sec shutter speed. Tripod and lots of patience waiting for two scooters to pass at exactly the right moment? Focus on the wall and not on the “Lottery Seller”?
    What do you mean, 'shame on [me]'? I was just making things clear and teaching Karm something on the way.

Commenting on the image, Andre, doesn't mean you need to scrutinize it for photographic information. That's not what photos are for. Their main function these days is still to communicate, in this case, to raise your awareness of what is happening on one side of a garden wall.
    It's not a guessing game. You don't have to give me the 'right' answer; just your answer. I'd be interested at what you see and how you react to it.
    It's one of the reasons I strip the exit info from my photos; so those who view them will not be distracted.
    If you are a photographer and you do want to know the tech details AFTER you have enjoyed the photo then I'd prefer you to figure that out for yourself. It might take you longer and you'll need to do a bit of research and experimenting but you'll get there. I did and the journey was well worth it.

I'll say one thing. You have done damned well in your summation. The only thing you missed was the fact that its two shots. I got a single vehicle in each shots going in opposite directions before the security guard crossed the road and told me to move on. Apparently this is a government building and I'm in a communist country. He was very polite but quite determined to have me on my way. He had a big gun as well.