Thread: Reaching...

Real Name
    Shane

Reaching...

A gnarly tree in our local botanical garden.

Reaching...

I like the perspective but wonder if the processing is a bit over the top?

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Reaching...

I do not think processing is over the top and I agree that the perspective is nice. I like it.

Real Name
    Shane

Thank you Terri. I struggled a few times to get this right and came back to it today. The image was taken on a cloudy day so the bark looked a bit flat out of the camera. I tweaked the curves and levels a bit but it took some time for me to settle on this version.

Real Name
    Kevin

Nice pic, and you have done well with the bark texture. "Forest" light is tricky because of the foliage generating a slight yellow and green cast. I usually end up nudging down the yellow channel and decreasing green luminance. Might be worth a play here.

Real Name
    Shane

Thank you for the editing tip Kevin! It makes perfect sense and I will give this a try when I get home from work today.

Real Name
    Shane

Kevin - I attempted to make the edits that you suggested but came across some challenges as I thought I knew how to do what you suggested but when I openned the image I realized that...

nudging down the yellow channel and decreasing green luminance
    was not in my skill set. I use CS5 and couldn't find a yellow channel, only a green one???

So what I did was create a mask from the green channel and shifted the color balance of the yellows towards blue and then used levels to darken the green channel slightly. This is what I came up with:

Reaching...

If you flip back and forth between the two images the color cast that you refer to is very obvious and I really appreciate you taking the time to point it out.

Is this a different way to do what you had in mind can you point me to a resource that might help me add this to my skill set? Should I have gone farther?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ShaneS; 4th June 2013 at 05:15 AM. Reason: replaced image

Real Name
    Kevin

Shane,
    I think you did great. I should have mentioned that I use LR4 for my WB and color shift adjustments- they have simple slider function with multiple colors that can be individually manipulated. I use CS6 for pixel work, layers and curves primarily.

Real Name
    Bobo

Might fine image. I need to try something like this.

Real Name
    Shane

Kevin thanks again for encouraging me to look at another facet of my images - in the past I have tended to look at white balance as a global issue and set something that is the best overall fit for the image. I now know that I have other options for subtle changes that can have a large impact.

Thank you Bobo...go out an find a tree to model for you and share the results