Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Amish Buggy and Horse

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Amish Buggy and Horse

The first picture I took of this scene I did not see the horse in the shade. In the actual scene the horse was almost invisible given the lighting. I made the horse a bit more visible. Comments welcomed.

Amish Buggy and Horse

Karm

Real Name
    Mary

Re: Amish Buggy and Horse

Where was the "buggy driver'? I'd like to see the horse more but good exposure on the buggy.

Real Name
    Jim

FYI Mary; the Amish prefer to not have their picture taken. Children, maybe, o.k., but the adults are very camera shy.

Real Name
    Zen

Hi Karm,

I like the B&W treatment of the scene, the subject itself and the lighting is OK. However, there seems to be too much "busy stuff" in the background, specifically behind the wheel. Looks like a picnic table and picnic accouterments, thermos bottle or whatever. But no matter what it is, it diverts attention from whatever you intend to be the focus point, and confuses the eye. I don't know what to look at!

No doubt you could not move the buggy to a different location to avoid that background, but you might have changed your[camera] location to remove the stuff from behind the wheel.

Wish it was possible to shoot the scene again.

Zen

Hi Zen. I could not get around the "stuff" that you find distracting and still include the horse. Its a campsite along a river I like to fish. Given that it's a candid shot the viewer has to accept that things will be in the image that a studio version would exclude. This is my view.

Karm

Hi Mary. The horse was in very deep shadow. I brightened the shadow. Completely revealing the horse made the horse look strange.

Karm