Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Thoughts on the new flickr...

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Thoughts on the new flickr...

A lot of us here use flickr and I was quite surprised that nobody here were sharing their views.

I actually (after the initial shock) like it.

My reasons (for and against) are here.

Now before any sort of backlash here I'd like to share a quote from a professional photographer on flickr which to me, makes total sense,

"The principal users of Flickr are not shooting for a museum... It is and always has been a site for casually sharing photos. Only a few of us find photography to be serious business. Those of us who need a MOMA type presentation should be making our own portfolio websites, not trying to shoehorn flickr into that role because we are cheap."

I share that comment because I know (personally) a lot of professional photographers who use a number of social media photo sites that include flickr. And most of them have a similar view. It's about sharing and generating a "web presence".

Any thoughts and comments?

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Thoughts on the new flickr...

I would agree with the photographer you quoted. I'm using flickr right now until I get better and develop a reasonable sized portfolio of quality images, then I will feel I can justify spending the money on a website like Zenfolio or a Word Press site..

I have found posting pics on this site a major hassle with tiny pic, so I have been copying the codes from Flickr instead. Those are the two main reasons I stay with it.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    Me too. It's taken me a couple of days to get used to it but I do like the way the display is set up. It's sort of "in your face" a bit but it's actually quite an efficient way to display your images IMO. And non-paying members like me seem to be able to post larger images now.

Dave

Real Name
    J stands for John

I sympathise about problems with tinypic and I had them to start so these tips may help.

I resize my photos to a size which seems to work nicely on CiC ... 700 pixels across or a bit smaller

I always 'Go Advanced' as I often had problems with the option with the message ... it simply didn't work for me.

If I want to insert more than one image there is the 'Upload' which starts tinypic again for a subsequent file. Took me ages to tumble to that option.

Dragging the file name from tinypic up to the message used to give me trouble so if it goes in the wrong place I simply click and get rid of the black around the filename and then copy and paste it to the correct place ... deleting the link in the wrong place afterwards.

But usually it is at the end of a line of text and that text will likely offset the picture so preferably the file name needs to be in its own line. After clicking to get rid of the black I place the curser at the front and hit the enter key.

If you try and move it while it is black you likely will kill it off and have to start again so click somewhere else on the screen to kill the black and not the link.

After the pictures have been added to the message one can add further text.

This may nopt help those posting to galleries here which I have yet to do as I have my own website for that purpose http://jcuknz-photos.com
    Last edited by jcuknz; 31st May 2013 at 08:14 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

I am ok with the new Flickr. It just took me a bit of time to find all the old commands I used, which was slightly annoying. Apart from that I really like the new full screen mode, quite a display if you look at some photos.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    A lot of us here use flickr and I was quite surprised that nobody here were sharing their views.

My reasons (for and against) are here.

Now before any sort of backlash here I'd like to share a quote from a professional photographer on flickr which to me, makes total sense,

"The principal users of Flickr are not shooting for a museum... It is and always has been a site for casually sharing photos. Only a few of us find photography to be serious business. Those of us who need a MOMA type presentation should be making our own portfolio websites, not trying to shoehorn flickr into that role because we are cheap."

I share that comment because I know (personally) a lot of professional photographers who use a number of social media photo sites that include flickr. And most of them have a similar view. It's about sharing and generating a "web presence".

Any thoughts and comments?
    Was there some online protest to the new format that I missed? Sites like Flickr usually lose interest after awhile so perhaps the change was done to increase usage. It had been awhile since I last visited but I believe there have been changes within the last five years before this so can't really complain as yet.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

John,

Yes there was some slight (ahem) online protest. It's died down a bit now but just look in the help forum and you'll get the general idea. For the few days after the change the traffic and complainers went outrageous. The site crashed twice (to my knowledge) and most groups discussion pages were a war zone.

I personally thought it highly amusing.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I use it primarily as a transport hub to get things from one place (my computer) to another (here). I think of my own website as my showroom, not Flickr.

Once I worked out that 'Edit' would take me back to where we used to be in terms of seeing images with their details, I was content ........... and had another glass of wine!