FNumber - 4.00
    ISOSpeedRatings - 200
    Flash - Not fired
    FocalLength - 50.00 mm

Real Name
    Greg

Re: outdoor scotch sipping

Single malt, my favourite yum
    Haven't hear of this maker Jimmy. I will investigate tonight and comment on your photo, on my iPhone at the moment.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Bruce

I like the photo with the exception that my eye is immediately drawn to that foliage in the background.
    IMHO it tends to distract the viewer from your subject.
    Was this shot using a tripod? I have found from experience that using a tripod allows you a better opportunity to scan the background for any potential distractions.

Bruce

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by gregj1763 View Post
    Single malt, my favourite yum
    Haven't hear of this maker Jimmy. I will investigate tonight and comment on your photo, on my iPhone at the moment.
    Cheers, Greg
    Hi greg. Bunnahabhain is an unpeated islay distillery. This botlle is very sherried and quite enjoyable! If u have tried and liked aberlour a'bunadh you will like it.

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I like the photo with the exception that my eye is immediately drawn to that foliage in the background.
    IMHO it tends to distract the viewer from your subject.
    Was this shot using a tripod? I have found from experience that using a tripod allows you a better opportunity to scan the background for any potential distractions.

Bruce
    Hi bruce thanks for the feedback! Ill try to tune it down with elements. I wasnt using a tripod no, i didnt have enough place for it sadly!

Real Name
    Jon

Although I am not a fan of scotch, I really enjoy this shot. The background is not distracting to me at all. Composition works well for me.

Cheers

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by JimG View Post
    Bunnahabhain is an unpeated islay distillery.
    The secret is in being able to pronounce the gaelic name. Pronounce it as - 'Boonavin', with the 'a' as in apple. 'bh' in gaelic is pronounced as 'v' in English.

There, that's your Scots gaelic tutorial for the day!

And tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon I will be looking across a short stretch of water at Islay. Am off to the very small island of Gigha on Scotland's west coast for a few days. There is the mainland and then Gigha and then, beyond Gigha, the islands of Islay and Jura. One of the shots I'm wanting to look at is that, close to 10 pm, the sunset from the little cottage that we're staying in will be over Islay and Jura (I've checked it on the Photographer's Ephemeris).

If I have success you'll see it on here!

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

oh jimmy, im in LOVE! love a good scotch!Which reminds me i should get a proper scotch glass like that for when im drinking it straight, and Jimmy, Greg and other scotch lovers please dont scald me i do sometimes(ok half the time) drink it with coke, depending on how i feel and the occasion,.

I too like the photo but the foliage is distracting.

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The secret is in being able to pronounce the gaelic name. Pronounce it as - 'Boonavin', with the 'a' as in apple. 'bh' in gaelic is pronounced as 'v' in English.

There, that's your Scots gaelic tutorial for the day!

And tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon I will be looking across a short stretch of water at Islay. Am off to the very small island of Gigha on Scotland's west coast for a few days. There is the mainland and then Gigha and then, beyond Gigha, the islands of Islay and Jura. One of the shots I'm wanting to look at is that, close to 10 pm, the sunset from the little cottage that we're staying in will be over Islay and Jura (I've checked it on the Photographer's Ephemeris).

If I have success you'll see it on here!
    Oh Donald, that is funny that you would mentioned this. i actualy pronounced it right 3 times to the clerk in the store in order to get the bottle of the rack (those bottles are locked behind doors here). i ended up pointing the bottle i wanted and then he corrected me on the name, bunnahaben.

Now for your trip, i'm dreaming of visiting Scotland eventually, if i had to choose what distillery id love to go see on Islay, i would probably go for Laphroaig/Ardbeg and Coal Ila. although, with the size of the island, id probably do all the distillery haha

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by allenlennon View Post
    oh jimmy, im in LOVE! love a good scotch!Which reminds me i should get a proper scotch glass like that for when im drinking it straight, and Jimmy, Greg and other scotch lovers please dont scald me i do sometimes(ok half the time) drink it with coke, depending on how i feel and the occasion,.

I too like the photo but the foliage is distracting.
    Hey Allen! I think mixing's is fine as long you are not mixing a single malt :P. Blended scotch like JW red label or black label are excelent mixers. I however cannot stand coke and whisky, i find the mix too sweet, however, ginger ale (diet) mixes extraordinarily well!

Glen Cairn glasses are a very very good invesment indeed, i dont regret getting them 1 bit. If however they are hard to find where you are, a narrow wine glass could also do the job very well, just dont use a tumbler type glass, you'll miss a lot on the aromas