Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Another stolen camera

Real Name
    Bob R

Another stolen camera

No not me this time, but my daughters new camera. Was it her fault, some would say (as the insurance company says) it's always the owners fault unless it was stolen forcibly. Not so funny thing was, she had just bought the camera (a sony) two weeks ago. She wanted to learn how to use it before leaving on her trip to Costa Rico, taking her team of gymnasts with her, for an international meet. Just maybe a lucky thing about it was, she had asked me about getting her dream camera, a Canon t4i, not the best but her first DSLR, and I had told her why not wait until she gets back, and just buy a point and shoot for now. I figured the learning curve with her busy schedule would have been to much to learn at this time. So she actually took my advice. Problem is, the Sony point and shoot she bought, had interchangeable lenses, and was in the five hundred dollar range. So I figured well, this just may be her camera. Guess someone else decided to take that away from her. She lost it over the weekend, not really knowing where or how, went to do her final packing last night and it was gone. I feel so sorry for her. She went back to the gym and nothing. I didn't tell her this, but I figure if she put it down within reach of the general public, it was snagged. The disappointment in her voice was terrible to hear. Sorry to share such heartbreaking news with the rest of you, but it did make me feel better. . She lives in Washington and I in California, if I could have, I'd given her my camera to use.

Bob

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Re: Another stolen camera

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBob View Post
    Problem is, the Sony point and shoot she bought, had interchangeable lenses, and was in the five hundred dollar range. Bob
    Interchangeable lenses? That was no point & shoot! That was a CSC, sounds like one of the NEX models. She probably wouldn't want a DSLR after using that for a while, not until much later, anyhow. Condolences.

Real Name
    Greg

Scumbags that stole it
    Hope their armpits are infested by the fleas of a thousand camels.
    Hope your daughters trip to Costa Rica is more enjoyable than recent events.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Tom

Did she buy it with a credit card? If so, some card companies include insurance for just these cases where something was stolen soon after purchase. Have her check with her credit card company to see if they will replace it.

Real Name
    Kathy

You may also want to let her know about http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/. You enter the serial number (or load a photo that has the serial number in the EXIF), and it searches the web for images taken with that serial number...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I am very sorry, Bob, to hear of that happening to your daughter.

Kathy - thanks for that info. Hopefully I will never need to use it, but I never knew such a resource existed.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Bob,

When I started reading this I had to look twice and, true as bob, she is not living in South Africa. Do these things really happen in Washington? Living in SA you learn to live with it and never to put your camera down, any ware at any time.

My first SLR, a Topcon camera, was stolen from my car in 1983. Full kit in an aluminium case. A few years ago my daughter was at a party held at a friends house. She had a Samsung P&S, her first camera, stolen at that party that was supposed to be a circle of friends. The disbelief and anger that goes with it. You feel so powerless and helpless with so much disappointment in your fellow man.

Then I hear stories from people whom visited Singapore and valuables left in a public place was returned to them. How is it possible? What has become of our, so called, Western civilization?

Believe me Bob, I know how you feel.

Forgot to add:
    The positive side with my daughters stolen Samsung is that I had an opportunity to buy her a Sony for her next birthday. How about buying her the 650D (T4i)?
    Last edited by AB26; 29th May 2013 at 12:59 PM.