Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Orange Barn

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Orange Barn

I processed this image using Lightroom 4 and Nik software. Comments welcomed.

Orange Barn

Karm

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Orange Barn

Hi Karm - this one doesn't work for me. Just a bunch of trees and grass with something lurking in the background. My eyes are looking for something to focus on, but just can't seem to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Hi Karm - this one doesn't work for me. Just a bunch of trees and grass with something lurking in the background. My eyes are looking for something to focus on, but just can't seem to find it.
    I agree. Nothing to focus on. Photo is too "busy".

Real Name
    Kevin

The "painterly" processing you've been experimenting is quite interesting. These recent shots of your subjects being beyond a tree cluster is really, really difficult to pull off. Our eyes are good at almost instantaneously adjusting their focus within the stuff in a woods, but it almost never translates to the same impact in a photo, unless the main subject is relatively large. The barn here is just too small, I think. The color saturation is purely a personal preference and may be a little strong for me.

I applaud you for sharing something this different. It wont be for everyone but a few will find some enrichment and fascination in it, and it's nice to see some experimentation.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

I quite like this although agree the barn is too small to be the feature of the photo - could it be cloned out and the picture remain an abstract ? The colour saturation is strong but I think it works as there aren't a multitude of colours.

Real Name
    Susan

Hi Karm - I think your image is super cool. It's like I am a deer looking through the woods and I see the barn back there. The colors are beautiful and bright - I clicked on it and said "wow".

Hi Susan. Your response to this image is pretty much what I experienced in developing it.

Karm

Kaye, Arnie, and Manfred: Based on all three of your comments what I am going to try and do is change the color of the barn (red) so that it doesn't blend with the orange grass in front of it. This might make the barn standout a bit more. Also, I'll change the name of the picture to The Hidden Red Barn (stupid joke).

karm

Thanks Kevin. I figured out how to create a painted or watercolor look using just LR4. It doesn't work on all pictures (I'm not talking about aesthetics, just technique). Like all new toys I'm probably playing around with it too much.

Concerning this picture I'm going to change the color of the barn to red. It might help it standout more. Also, I should not have called the picture Orange Barn. I think it's a very romantic picture of a barn. Looking at things through trees gives them a different sense.

I agree with your comment concerning the gap between what one sees in the woods and what one sees in their picture.

Karm