Thread: Advice on Sony lens

Real Name
    Greg

Advice on Sony lens

Hi all,
    I'm looking to get a new lens to add to my arsenal, primarily for portrait/wedding shots.
    At the moment I'm swapping between my two Tamron lenses, the 90mm f/2.8 macro and the 18-270mm f/3.5 - 6.3 zoom.
    I would really just like to be able to use one and I'm considering getting the Sony f/2.8 SAL 28-75mm. The Zeiss 24-70mm would be my goal one day but is a little pricey for me at the moment.
    There is a near new SAL 2875 for sale at $550.00 AUD which looks in great condition which is about half new cost.
    Does any of the Sony user among us have this lens and if so your thoughts on it?
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Advice on Sony lens

Not many Sony users out there then?
    No worries, I have bought the lens anyway

Real Name
    Remco

Not many Sony users here, true.
    I'm one, but I don't own the specific lens you asked about. In its place,
    I have the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8, which I like a lot (and was a lot cheaper).

And 24h is about the minimum time I'd expect to wait for an answer, not every
    member can drop by every day...

Real Name
    Greg

Sorry Remco, Did that sound grumpy.
    That was not my intent.
    I will post some images taken with the lens soon.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Remco

no problems, I'm also impatient when going for a new toy

I saw you post earlier, but waited as I didn't have the lens you asked about,
    and for me, the Tamron is quite a satisfying lens. I got it to have a faster lens
    for scene photos (dance, to be precise), but started using it as my main lens
    (with a Tamron 90mm macro when needed).

For me, it's a good low budget solution.

Real Name
    Blake

I wish the nikon 24-70 could be had for $550! How is the lens so far?

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by blakemcguire View Post
    I wish the nikon 24-70 could be had for $550! How is the lens so far?
    On its way Blake. Should arrive mid this week

Real Name
    J stands for John

You have made your purchase but I would have considered getting as moderate CU lens to replace the macro lens ...I am sure the 270 [ 500AoV ] with a two dioptre would get a tight enough framing of rings and whatever you photograph at weddings and be as quick to add as to change lenses .... even with the 24-70 though that is a bit short for best use. Maybe a 4 dioptre for that lens. I was using a 2d with a 430 AoV lens and notice the lack now with a 280AoV lens so getting a 4d.

Real Name
    Remco

Can you still focus at infinity with a Close-up lens in front of the objective? As far as I understood,
    the question here wasn't about doing close-up/macro work, but weddings were mentioned.
    (perhaps a mix-up with another thread?)
    Last edited by revi; 27th May 2013 at 05:24 AM. Reason: typos

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    Can you still focus at infinity with a Close-up lens in front of the objective? As far as I understood,
    the question here wasn't about doing close-up/macro work, but weddings were mentioned.
    (perhaps a mix-up with another thread?)
    Your right Remco, I think there might be a case of crossed wires here.
    Yes I use the 90mm macro for close up's of rings etc but it makes a good portrait lens and of course I use it for macro photography as well.
    The reason I bought this new lens is that it is as fast as the 90mm at f/2.8 which is an advantage over the 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 in lower light situations but gives me more versatility being a zoom. (hope that make sense)
    jcuknz, I really appreciate your input to this post and all advice is gratefully accepted. Now I'm off to look up dioptre?
    I still have my L plates on with photography, there is a lot to learn.
    Thanks, guys

Real Name
    J stands for John

Not a crossed wire but a wonder at why you take macro lens along except to take the odd big close-up of things at a wedding when you have another zoom lens capable of handling most situations. I don't rate f/2.8 fast even when compared to the big zoom. I am sure it helps though and likely better than increasing ISO.
    The dioptre is a measurement system used by optometrists and a dioptre is 1000mm .. a two dioptre is 500mm focal length while a two metre lens as a person might use is a half dioptre.
    NO .... when using as CU lens it makes the camera lens think that something at its focal length is at infinity ... so with my 2d I have a focusing range of 20>13 inches with my bridge camera and its 430mm zoom .. the 4d will start me at 10 inches or 250mm ... yet to get it/use it so don't know the near distance.

Rest assured that the more you learn the more you realise how much more there is you could learn if it was applicable to what you want to do with photography.