Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I need help here

Real Name
    Bobo

I need help here

I took some pics of my friend's son playing in the garden and have quite a few good ones. Initially I was just going to give him the digital copies but my wife suggested that 1 and 2 should be printed up.

What do you think? If they pass CiC muster they have to be worth printing right? Specifically is there anything wrong here? I sometimes miss the obvious.

Thanks.

I need help here

I need help here

Some that I will send him digital copies.

I need help here

I need help here

Real Name
    Terri

Re: I need help here

My first thought on the first one is to do a tighter crop to at least get rid of the ladder leaning against the building on the upper left. I know you may want a standard size if your are printing but maybe that can still be accomplished. I like the expression on his face. Also love #2 for the concept/composition and the last one.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Dear Bobo,

#2 is a winner. Did you think about applying a slight vignette to help take the eye off the busy background?

#4 is another lovely.

#3 bothered me a bit, and I fiddled with it some. I hope you do not mind. I have cut and pasted the top third of the image further down, did a free transform to align it a bit, and cloned the stick of the sparkler a bit. I hope it was okay of me to do so. Please tell me what you think? It was just an idea.

I need help here

Marie

Yes my thoughts on #1 were the same as Terri. Ideally, I would like to crop at 4 x 5 ratio; or failing that 5 x 4 to reduce the distracting background.

There is quite a bit 'wrong' with #3 but you have such a good expression on his face I would leave it as it currently is, although Marie's edit has some merit.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks everyone, just the sort of response I was was hoping for.

Thanks Terri and Geoff about #1 - I did try to cut out that ladder but with his eyes facing left the result looked odd. What I will try to do is either clone it out or try to extend the shed into that area.

About 3 - thanks Marie, editing is fine with any of my pics. How else to better see? The idea of bringing down the top is great. That one was meant only as a digital copy but I will replace it with another with the kid still quite excited but further away from the sparkler.

About 4 - perhaps I should leave out #1 and replace the print with this instead. Was only thinking of 2 prints but 3 is fine too if you guys think that is worth doing.

Real Name
    Bobo

Edits of #1.
    (click for larger view)
    1a.
    I need help here

1b. 6x5 with bit of vignetting.
    I need help here

Closer crop of 2 with bit of vignetting.

2a
    I need help here

---------------

Other shots of kid and sparkler.

I need help here

I need help here

Another
    I need help here
    Last edited by Bobobird; 24th May 2013 at 08:50 PM.