Thread: Take me home, country road....

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Take me home, country road....

We were on our way home going through Mitchellstown, near Nagambie, passing Mitchellton winery. And they have planted all these deciduous trees along the road as part of a beautification project. "Big deal," do I hear you Northern Hemispherical folk mutter? Well such magic Autumnal colours are for us Down Under. Our native trees, mainly gums and wattles, don't change colours but sport blue grey to green foliage constantly all year around, as can be seen in the River Red Gum trees in the background of this shot. So the wonderful spash of colour caught my eye.
    Thanks for viewing and for any comments you may care to post.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Take me home, country road....

The trees are quite beautiful Ken. The ones on the left in particular with the three colours present. Are they growing fast enough to have any hope of arching over the roadway anytime soon? That makes a really great shot.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Ken,

Forgive me for doing this:

Increased sharpness, shadow and highlights. Is it better?

I love the colours.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

He drives past the Mitchellton Winery and takes photographs of b....... trees. Strewth!

For UK residents, the 2009 Mitchellton Shiraz can be bought from Tesco (sorry!) online at £89.94 per 6-bottle case. Hardy's or Jacob's Creek it ain't. This is several rungs up the quality ladder from that rubbish.

It is a nice picture though.
    Last edited by Donald; 24th May 2013 at 02:45 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

I love the colours and the image (and Andre edit) look fine to me.

Good presence of mind to stop and grab the shot. I would probably have continued on to the wine.

Real Name
    pinaki

Very nice colour and composition Ken. I too like editing work of Andre! Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    He drives past the Mitchellton Winery and takes photographs of b....... trees. Strewth!

For UK residents, the 2009 Mitchellton Shiraz can be bought from Tesco (sorry!) online at £89.94 per 6-bottle case. Hardy's or Jacob's Creek it ain't. This is several rungs up the quality ladder from that rubbish.

It is a nice picture though.
    Always said you were man of exquisitely refined taste who fully understands the more important things in life. Tonight I might just crack a bottle and drink to your health, probably a Tahbilk 2005 Cabernet which I have stashed away. Yep, that sounds like a plan.
    Doing a bit of quick figure fiddling the same shiraz you mentioned costs us around 5 pounds a bottle at the cellar door. And we reckon at that price it is almost daylight robbery. Mitchellton is very commercial, all glitz and shiny stainless steel. We normally buy our plonk at Tahbilk which is just around the corner and whose wines are far better. And you can even go down into the cellars and wander around the huge oak barrels of aging wines. It is a very old and very traditional winery. They have the oldest Shiraz vines in the world which are still producing grapes which are still being picked for wine production. These were first planted back around 1860. Now, that is a shiraz worth swilling around the old gums; but it has a price tag to match. Not the sort of fare you proffer to beer swilling yobbos.
    Cheers
    Ken
    Last edited by ucci; 25th May 2013 at 06:46 AM.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Hi Ken,

Forgive me for doing this:

Increased sharpness, shadow and highlights. Is it better?

I love the colours.
    Nothing to forgive Andre And as for being better? In terms of sharpness, shadows and highlights, definitely so. However it was a dull, overcast day in late Autumn and the colours were very soft and muted and the whole scene was overshadowed by the tall gums which were acting as a screen of what little sun there was. The crisp sharpness in your rework is fine but what I would normally expect to see around mid-day on a cloudless, hot Summer's day at this spot.
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to help me improve.
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    The trees are quite beautiful Ken. The ones on the left in particular with the three colours present. Are they growing fast enough to have any hope of arching over the roadway anytime soon? That makes a really great shot.
    Thank you Trevor. And no, I don't think we will ever see a canopy, not in our lifetime anyway.