Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

Real Name
    Jon

Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

On my journey from town to town today I took a different route. Well, I think it might have been worth it. Just west of the little town of Roann, Indiana is this neat little stream with the old Stockdale mill...I just had to stop.

Here are a couple for C&C please and thank you.

1.Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

2.Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

3.Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

4.Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

...on my way back up the trail to the truck I almost stepped on this fella. Now normally I would have screamed like a schoolgirl but this guy didn't move...until I got a few shots of him at least.

5.Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

6.Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

7.Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

Now I am NOT a fan of snakes at all, they are about the only creature that really creeps me out, so I have no idea what kind this is or whether or not it is dangerous. I was just happy that he decided to go the opposite direction.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

The contrast and dynamic range seem far superior at a glance in photo #2 compared to photo #1. The composition is also more compelling than the others for me.

The head of the snake appears at this angle not to have a triangular shape, so it perhaps is not poisonous. Don't rely on having to make that determination; it's always best to assume that it's poisonous.

Real Name
    Jon

Mike, Thanks for the comments.
    I was up and down the bank as far as I could get without getting wet(I still had to work the rest of the day) trying to find just the right spot in the 30 minutes I had.

You don't have to worry about me getting too close to ANY snake...NOT going to happen I was zoomed in fairly good on this 5' long beast
    The head definitely did not have the tell tale triangle shape...not that that matters in my head

Real Name
    Greg

Definietly #2, Jon. In the first one, I am not sure what the subject is, but it is much better defined in the second.
    I also like the 4th -- for the tonal range and the reflection.

I don't like snakes regardless of their geometry.

Real Name
    Mary

I like # 2 better also. The snake appears to be non poisonous ( non triangle head and round pupil), probably a black racer ( they like water). I only like snakes at a distance, when I come across them suddenly I took jump around and squeal like a girl but they are beautiful.--mary

Real Name
    Jon

Thanks to all for the comments. I redid a couple of the B&Ws...

8.Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

9.Stockdale Mill...and a friend?

10.Stockdale Mill...and a friend?
    Last edited by Plumcrak; 23rd May 2013 at 11:19 AM.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Mary is correct. An ovoid pupil is indicitive of a poisonous snake. A round pupil is non-poisonous.

I prefer the black and whites. #4 does it for me.

For the color, #2 has much better contrast.

Great job,

Marie

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It would be easier to reference the various photos if there were not two #1, #2 and #3. In the photo that would be #8, consider cropping the top to eliminate a small part of the tallest tree. For me, doing so draws the viewer's eye to the water and then the line of the dam leads very nicely to the mill.

Real Name
    Jon

Oops I have never been really good at my numbers That is fixed, thanks Mike.

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Neat looking old mill. #4 catches my eye the best.

The snake isn't venomous. The number one way to determine if a snake is dangerous or not is to look in it's pupils. If they are round they are non-venomous, if the pupils are slit or "diamond shaped" it's best to dispose of it or leave it alone.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

The snake is a black snake or western rat snake. Completely benign and quite gentle. When I was growing up in southern Ontario there were four species of snakes we were told to leave alone because they are so beneficial; all four are big enough to eat rats and consequently valued by our parents to get rid of vermin in the barns. The other three were the corn snake,rat snake and king snake. We had strict orders to leave them unmolested. Although I must admit they were great for scaring the daylights out of girls if you hid a six foot long snake then suddenly produced it.

Number three and four for me. The black and white does real justice to the mill and water.

Real Name
    Jon

Marie, Kris and Trevor, thanks for viewing and for your comments, they are greatly appreciated. I have pinned the location of the Mill in my GPS and I am sure to return when I have more time.
    The snake never posed a threat to me (other than in my mind) so it was in no danger of me doing it any harm...that would mean getting closer to it, and that was not going to happen...benign& gentle or not.

Cheers

Real Name
    Bobo

Great scene well captured.

Rattler - yikes. By the looks of the elongated midsection he is probably digesting his lunch.

Real Name
    Jon

Thanks Bobo. By the number of lumps in its midsection I think it was digesting breakfast, lunch and a couple of snacks in-between. He was awful lumpy!!