Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What's the difference?

Real Name
    Djoran

What's the difference?

Aside from the price, what's different about these two?

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/canon-eo...-lens-18-55mm/

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/canon-eo...-lens-18-55mm/

I ask since I seem to manage to screw up something as simple as an "i" on the end of "T3" so I figure I should consult some experts before making another foolish mistake.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: What's the difference?

No difference in specifications: only the badge on it.

The origin (the Canon Distributor) from where the camera has been sourced by the reseller will be different.

These three are all the same EOS model:

EOS Rebel T3i is for the market in the Americas.
    EOS 600D is for the market in Europe Asia and Oceania.
    Kiss X5 is for the market in Japan.

In any case: buying a Canon Camera (or lens) sourced from other than you Local Canon Importer &distributor, might have consequences apropos warrantee and repairs for it (them).

WW

Real Name
    Djoran

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    In any case: buying a Canon Camera (or lens) sourced from other than you Local Canon Importer &distributor, might have consequences apropos warrantee and repairs for it (them).
    Yeah, but the prices here are pretty outrageous in comparison. I'd be essentially paying about $300 extra just for 'peace of mind'.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by DDK View Post
    Yeah, but the prices here are pretty outrageous in comparison. I'd be essentially paying about $300 extra just for 'peace of mind'.
    Your maths is a bit out, I think, or we must be reading different advertisements?
    – the Kiss and lens are: $499 plus delivery
    - the 600D and lens are: $519 plus delivery

That’s $20 difference, on my calculator.

Anyway, you might see $20 or $300 as “outrageous”.
    I don’t.
    I see the price difference as simply a result of many factors. Those who seek equality in our present “global economy” are kidding themselves, IMO.

I don't know what constitutes your ‘peace of mind’: you have to choose what is worth what, to you – merely I was stating additional facts, in case you didn’t know them.

Also – in case you don’t know: (and assuming you are still residing in Melbourne) - you could still purchase a 600D and that camera still might NOT be sourced by the reseller, through Canon Australia.

WW

Real Name
    Greg

Better deal here, Djoran. Only 95c more and you get two kit lenses.
    http://www.teds.com.au/canon/digital-slr-cameras

BTW if you go into stores like JB HiFi, Domayne, Hardly Normal, etc, you might find the price there is cheaper than online.

Real Name
    Djoran

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Your maths is a bit out, I think, or we must be reading different advertisements?
    I think we've crossed the beams at some point.

Both of those are from Kogan and are imported from HK so neither would be 'local'.

Local prices tend to be around the $700 mark (so yeah, I guess I was off in the $300 statement). Most online vendors that service Australia source from overseas and import to Australia. Genuine local vendors tend to go by RRP.

https://store.canon.com.au/Our-Produ...le-IS-Lens-Kit

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Better deal here, Djoran. Only 95c more and you get two kit lenses.
    http://www.teds.com.au/canon/digital-slr-cameras

BTW if you go into stores like JB HiFi, Domayne, Hardly Normal, etc, you might find the price there is cheaper than online.
    My experience has always been that JB, etc. are way more expensive than anywhere else. But thanks for the link, I might just get on that as that seems like a genuinely good deal.

EDIT: Ok, so I just raced down to a local Ted's and discovered that that 'deal' wasn't as good as it appears. The 'bonus' is the remote control and the Magic Lantern Guide Book IF you purchase the Body Only AND a Twin Lens Kit, making the total cost $799.
    Last edited by DDK; 22nd May 2013 at 05:49 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Djoran

Digital Camera Warehouse (stores in Melbourne Sydney and Brisbane) have the 600D with single lens kit for $598. This is a specail deal as the camera has been "replaced" by new models.

Or if you want to buy overseas, try eGlobal. I think you'll get it there for $532 delivered. I've bought stuff from eGlobal before and found them to be very good with quick delivery.

Dave

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by DDK View Post
    I think we've crossed the beams at some point.
    Both of those are from Kogan and are imported from HK so neither would be 'local'.
    Local prices tend to be around the $700 mark (so yeah, I guess I was off in the $300 statement).

Yes - I misunderstood what you meant.

I didn't look at the reseller or where that reseller was located - just the two prices: I thought by your OP, that you were comparing between buying those two cameras.

WW

Real Name
    Richard

I don't know if Canon Australia has refurbished Canon gear available. However, I live in the USA and I buy all of my Canon cameras refurbished. The prices are great and I have never been disappointed in a Canon refurb item. I have purchased refurbished cameras both from Canon directly and through Adorama in New York City.