Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flash failed to fire

Real Name
    Steve

Flash failed to fire

I know I'm a novice and this was my grandaughters first birthday. I actually took another in exposure that works a few seconds later.

But I like this with all its noise; am I mad?

What are the vertical lines; it has been extensively photoshoped to reduce noise but I can't get rid off them.

It is an extreme example of HDR to reduce noise by taking images 0,1,2 ev from raw 0 ev image without much information, but then noise reduction in shadows in the extreme.

Can this be done without noise, is it possible to get this image in exposure? Or get rid of the lines?
    Last edited by arith; 2nd December 2009 at 11:21 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Flash failed to fire

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    It is an extreme example of HDR to reduce noise by taking images 0,1,2 ev from raw 0 ev image without much information, but then noise reduction in shadows in the extreme.
    Hi Arith,

Common misconception, but if it's processed from a single RAW capture then it's not HDR; there's nothing you'll get out of tone-mapping 3 adjusted versions of the same capture that you couldn't have got out of just the single file.

With regards to the noise it could possibly be improved upon, but quite tricky.

Real Name
    Steve

Hello Colin my friend; you are right and the only reason I think compounding images from a raw one improves by way of noise is is by the suck it and see method. Not scientific and might be wrong; but until now everything is ok.

What are the straight vertical lines? I was thinking ignore it since 4 secs later I get a good image, but not as good as this.

I'm not used to flash; but was intending to just get an image; with hopefully a little extra with age and knowledge.

All my off camera flash worked by the way; just even more boring being I suppose from memory a classic no shadow set up.

But photography is hard and I feel now that I have reached the point where I left it 40 years ago.

So much slower progress now eh.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Arith,

Sadly, I don't think it'll work off a single image, the multi image averaging to reduce noise relies on it cancelling out, by law of averages, across all the frames (whereas the subject is always the same).

Full marks for trying though, without experimentation, we don't learn

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Dave; can't do that though because it requires multiple images perfectly aligned; I'm better off with HDR since the application has automatic alignment, not suggesting it is needed with a single image but if your going to do a lot of images why not just do HDR.
    Last edited by arith; 3rd December 2009 at 02:27 AM.