Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New web user; How to resize file for the web

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

New web user; How to resize file for the web

Hey Guys

I've only recently converted to digital and I've just about got my head around most aspects of Photoshop (CS3) but when I try to down size for the web (From a typycal RAW conversion) I'm starting to find a few problems. Would any kind soul take pity and "talk" me through it. I'm using a Nikon D80 with CS3 and would like to share some images on this site.

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Re: New web user; How to resize file for the web

Once the RAW file has been converted and is open within a window in photoshop CS3, you will want to go the image > image size. Make sure that "resample image" and "constrain proportions" are checked at the bottom, and change the pixel width OR height to the desired size. For these forums a width of 700 px works well regardless of the height (unless it is really, really tall). Once you have changed the size, it is generally a good idea to apply some sharpening since the downsizing process softens the image a bit (more on this on the tutorial on resizing an image for the web and email). Typically 300%/0.2/0 for the amount/radius/threshold work fine.

Many people use Faststone for resizing, using a default 800 pixel size for posting in forums. Faststone is a freebie, useful for resizing and renaming and simple to use.

For most forums it is easiest to use a hosting service such as Flickr or Imageshack; you upload the images there, and it gives you a code to insert; the forum then collects this and shows the picture. There seem to be slight differences in the exact nomenclature used, but most start with something like [img] and end with [/img]. You need to check the preview to be sure that all is working correctly.

Bertie

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Cheers Guys

The problem was I got my wires crossed with the pixel count! McQ has it squared away, once again.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

http://www.flickr.com/photos/istartedafire/2259249490/

Picture of the reef at Bamburi beach in Kenya, one of my first digital photos ever!