Thread: Enhancing Photoshop Elements

Enhancing Photoshop Elements

I don't use Photoshop Elements, but if I did I would probably find this very interesting...

http://www.thepluginsite.com/product...sxxl/index.htm

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Enhancing Photoshop Elements

It is indeed very interesting. Thanyou, John for finding and posting it. Anyone got any experience of it?

Now that I'm using Elements as a 'transporter' for the NIK software bundle (haven't abandoned the GIMP though) and, with the guidance of the Kelby/Kloskowski book which I bought, am using Elements more and more, this does seem something that could be very good.

I notice that included in the package of features that the plug-in puts into Elements, is the ability to have Smart Objects. If this means, as I think it does, that the NIK SEP2, Colour Efex Pro 2, etc layer in Elements can be made a Smart Object, that is then going to allow for going back in and editing what was previously done on that filter.

I wrote before on here that this feature alone would be the only thing that would have ever made me think of investing in Photoshop. If this plug-in brings that to Elements, then stands aside, I'm heading for the front of the queue.
    Last edited by Donald; 15th May 2013 at 06:53 AM.

Real Name
    John

It is very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Anyone got any experience of it?
    No patience. Couldn't wait. Needed instant gratification. Read what I could find about it. Bought it and am now downloading. Will let you know how I get on.

Real Name
    Gary

There is also something available called Elements+. This does very similar things to what the link that John has given.

It's also a lot cheaper! When your get it, it basically works in a similar way to the options that allow you to add frames etc. After you install it, you basically click on it to get the available options. It gives access to things like curves, black and white, channel mixer and a lot more. The one downside is that once applied the adjustment layers for black and white, curves etc cannot be adjusted. You have to delete and start again. It's worth having a look.There is a PDF with full details that shows the functionality of it. I use it and provided you accept the limitations I find it very useful. For me it's worth having it for just the channel mixer and the black and white options. Another useful function is that it allows you to add masks. You can use this with selections or hide or reveal a whole area. Then use the paint brush to remove or add part of the filter you have applied i.e. selective sharpening etc.

The link below is were you can get extra info. from.

http://www.simplephotoshop.com/elementsplus/

Real Name
    Ted

A good thread this because I still stubbornly use PSE 6. Elements+ would be better for my purposes.

One limitation encountered of late in Elements 6 is Adobe's cavalier treatment of color spaces (we don't like your embedded profile, so we'll just strip it out), unlike PhotoShop. I didn't see any improvement there in the two links provided by y'all.

Yes let us know what you think of it, Donald.

I heard about this through a regular monthly newsletter from Harold Heim, who runs The Plug-in Site. I've received this newsletter for years and years; and Harold has a very long history with creating Photoshop plug-ins that goes back farther with Photoshop than I do (some of the first plug-in filters for Photoshop I came across were designed by him).

And I have to say: if I had designed such an enhancement for Photoshop Elements, this is exactly when I would release it - right when all the Creative Cloud controversy is making people uncomfortable with the thought of moving on from Elements to using a full version of Photoshop CC.

Real Name
    Dan

I've been a PSE user for years. I have PSE11 installed but still use PSE6 w/elements+ pluggin. I agree with prior comment that one downside to elements+ is that you can't modify curves layers etc. but have to start over with a new layer if you don't like what you did. Not a huge deal but doesn't allow you to tweak things. Another downside of PSE is that you can't work with 16bit files. For that reason, I do any major lighting/color changes in ViewNX2 or CaptureNX2 then use PSE if I need to do any masking or cloning.

Now with the recent announcements from Adobe I'm glad I never went with the full version of Photoshop though I haven't seen anything about their plans for PSE. With the sale of Nik, the future of Nikon software looks bleak. It was dreadfull before they partnered with Nik.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Will let you know how I get on.
    Oh dear. Problem with realising my dream re Smart Objects - "Third-party filter plugins that are not part of Photoshop Elements, (which of course include the NIK software packages) are not applied as smart filters. In this case you are asked to simplify the layer, which means removing the smart object, in order to apply them." Damn!

However, there is lot of stuff in there.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    . . . . Another downside of PSE is that you can't work with 16bit files . . .
    I don't understand that. I've been opening and working with 16-bit files in ACR5.4/PSE6 for some time. Have I misunderstood the meaning of "work with"?

Real Name
    Robert

​Thank you for the above links.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I don't understand that. I've been opening and working with 16-bit files in ACR5.4/PSE6 for some time. Have I misunderstood the meaning of "work with"?
    Yes I suppose some clarification is needed. I don't use ACR so can't speak to that. But is PSE6 fully functional with 16 bit files? I can open 16bit files but many menu selections are greyed out. Most importantly layers don't function. Can't create adjustment layers, copy layers, etc. Per my prior comments, layers are the main reason I use PSE at all. CaptureNX2 will do everything else. Same issue with PSE11.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    ACR can handle 16 bit files but when you go from there to the PSE editor the majority of features are unavailable unless you select to convert the image to 8 bit.

Real Name
    Ted

Now it is clear, PSE is indeed not fully functional for 16-bit files whether from ACR or another application. Yes, some of features that I use are grayed out for 16-bit files but not the majority for me though. But going back and running the mouse along the menu I can see that most folks would be incommoded, especial if they use layers and filters or just want black & white!

And I just now noticed that ACR 5.4 produces a sRGB file with no other options in ACR. No wonder my yellow flower shot clips. Bummer.

Still trying out RawTherapee. I have a feeling it could grow on me :-) in spite of it's cranky GUI.