Thread: CS6 Oil paint filter

Real Name
    Greg

CS6 Oil paint filter

Just after opinions on what I have done here with the oil paint filter in CS6.
    The photo was taken late afternoon at a local vineyard and while the original was ok I thought it lacked something to make it more interesting.
    Thought I would have a play and see what people thought. Is it an improvement or not. Yay or Nay?
    Please view in lyte box.

CS6 Oil paint filter

CS6 Oil paint filter

Real Name
    mat

Re: CS6 Oil paint filter

Ive never used or seen the oil painting filter before and having seen it, it's better than I feared.
    IMHO it doesn't really look oil paint like to me, more water colour ish, and I'm afraid I prefer the Original though that's not to say you shouldn't have done it or that you didn't do a good job. It can be hard not to keep playing when an image isn't jumping out at you heavens knows I ruined many a picture that way

Real Name
    Greg

Thanks for the reply Mat. I'm sort of 50/50 with the effect as well. It looks ok but too uniform to look like a oil painting to me. Don't know if I can change that using layers. Might have a try later.

Real Name
    Richard

I like your vinyard in oils...

There are lots of different effects one can get using the CS6 Oil Paint Filter. However, it can be overdone. I used it a lot when I first found it but have seldom touched it lately...

CS6 Oil paint filter

CS6 Oil paint filter

and some really weird effects

CS6 Oil paint filter

Real Name
    Greg

I like them all Richard, particularly the last one. Looks good in an abstract way.
    I will give it some more effort using layers and see what I can come up with

Real Name
    John Doddato

It is fun to mess around with this filter. I have found that I have a lot of images that just don't make it as a photograph, so I use a small amount of pixel bender filter to add a touch of oil paint to them. http://johndoddato.blogspot.com/

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by gregj1763 View Post
    Just after opinions on what I have done here with the oil paint filter in CS6. . .
    The application is too "regular" for my liking, especially the in the sky.

Maybe using layers will redress that.

Also - try 'watercolor'.

Around 2008~2009 our customers went a passion for 'watercolour finishes', mainly on Candid Portraiture that we shot a Functions. Here are a couple of samples. I think 'watercolor' would work well with your Landscape shot.

In any case, these applications need to be Viewed Large and at a reasonable Viewing Distance - a Large Screen is necessary for any suitable evaluation.

WW

Att two large samples FYI:

CS6 Oil paint filter

CS6 Oil paint filter