Thread: I'm back, with a bird photo...Sparrow

Real Name
    Matthew

I'm back, with a bird photo...Sparrow

Some may have noticed I've not been on the forums much. That is because I've been out shooting photos like crazy! Will make my best effort to get editing so I can share a bunch soon. Here's a favorite image from the other day, a sparrow (possibly Savannah?)

I noticed a few small over-sharpened areas with dark edges, but it was from when I downsized the photo, and I didn't want to go back and edit the full size psd at this time. I think it's minor enough it doesn't bother me too much.

Another thing are the fir tree buds at bottom left, they are slightly distracting, but it's impossible to clone them out and have it look natural, due to the overlapping branches and needles. Tried a few cropping options to leave them out, but none of them worked for me. Again, it doesn't bother me too much because it's just nature. Each composition can't always be absolutely perfect because I'm shooting nature, and I'm starting to realize that and trying to accept it

As always, 100% size view is recommended. C&C welcomed, thanks for looking!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: I'm back, with a bird photo...Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    Some may have noticed I've not been on the forums much. That is because I've been out shooting photos like crazy!
    And that, Matt, is what it should be about. The forum is only a 'support act' for what really matters - getting out there and making pictures.

I'm not sure that there is anything to add to you own very clear and critical analysis. I do think that you are maybe a bit too severe on yourself, although there is absolutely no harm in being your own harshest critic. As you suggest, nature is nature and we shouldn't try to control every aspect of it.

For what it's worth, I think this is a very good composition.

Real Name
    Mark

Colors work very well for you here - a real feast of greens. Overall a great effort and I too think you are a over-hard on yourself.

I like very much "Each composition can't always be absolutely perfect... shooting nature." Thank you for that. I was shooting a woodland blossom the other day and brushed a bit of flotsam off that had landed on a petal, and then realized I didn't feel at all good about primping nature's own best efforts. Like you (I think) I'm coming to the realization that, for me, the challenge and rewards lie making the best of what "is", rather than trying to make what "is" better. Your sentiment reminds me to look for how the imperfections, if you will, in nature photos add genuineness/charm/beauty/grit not present in the perfect airbrushed nature in a calendar photo.

Real Name
    Dan

Really a nice shot. Good comp, nice position on the bird, and a lovely BG. Well done.

Real Name
    Terri

I really like it, Matt. Very nice colors.

Real Name
    james

verynice Matt!

Real Name
    Christina

beautiful photo... Love the detail, colour, composition and bokeh

Real Name
    Joe

Lovely image Matt. Try a 5x7 crop, I tried it on your image and I think it maintains your composition and eliminates the out of focus buds.

Real Name
    John

Angry Parent: So no one had a laptop you could use. You're grounded Mister.

Very nice image. You're excused.

Real Name
    Matthew

Thank you, very much, everyone. I really value all of your advice, feedback, suggestions, etc.

Donald, really great points, and I always love hearing your philosophical input.

Joe, I will try the crop you recommended, and see if it looks good to me. Thank you so much for viewing and adding that valuable suggestion.

Thanks to everyone else as well, sorry I can't respond to all individually; have lots of editing to do!

Real Name
    Bobo

Lovely work here. Well done.

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    Some may have noticed I've not been on the forums much. That is because I've been out shooting photos like crazy! Will make my best effort to get editing so I can share a bunch soon. Here's a favorite image from the other day, a sparrow (possibly Savannah?)

I noticed a few small over-sharpened areas with dark edges, but it was from when I downsized the photo, and I didn't want to go back and edit the full size psd at this time. I think it's minor enough it doesn't bother me too much.

Another thing are the fir tree buds at bottom left, they are slightly distracting, but it's impossible to clone them out and have it look natural, due to the overlapping branches and needles. Tried a few cropping options to leave them out, but none of them worked for me. Again, it doesn't bother me too much because it's just nature. Each composition can't always be absolutely perfect because I'm shooting nature, and I'm starting to realize that and trying to accept it

As always, 100% size view is recommended. C&C welcomed, thanks for looking!

It's a wonderful image (details, composition), thank you for sharing! "My" (male) sparrow, shot with my planes settings as he bothered me when I was waiting to shoot a cruising airliner, it's by far not as good:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/86...5689/img_4445p

All the best,

Augustin

P.S. I'm sorry for including the link only, but AGAIN I can't upload images here...

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Augustin Man View Post
    It's a wonderful image (details, composition), thank you for sharing! "My" (male) sparrow, shot with my planes settings as he bothered me when I was waiting to shoot a cruising airliner, it's by far not as good:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/86...5689/img_4445p
    Thank you for the nice comments, Augustin. That is a very nice image you linked to! I hope you can figure out how to post images so I can see more of your photos! Thanks