Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: High Key Heron...

Real Name
    Joe

High Key Heron...

I captured these this morning. The sky was very overcast, early morning making it even darker. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

High Key Heron...

High Key Heron...

High Key Heron...

Real Name
    K

Re: High Key Heron...

So pretty. I was just in Florida last week and didn't see any of the birds I remembered growing up.
    Just a little seagull on Siesta Key. Beautiful shots there.

Real Name
    Robert

A nice group of Heron photos. I wondered where his beak was in the first picture but photo two and three are excellent!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is a very nice way of making a cloudy sky with no detail an especially attractive background. I particularly like the last two images, as the tucked head in the first image doesn't work for me.

There is so much dynamic range and contrast that I would not call any of these high-key photos. The white background on its own does not render them high-key in my mind. Instead, they're wonderful images with a white background. They take on many of the characteristics of an illustration, and that's a compliment.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 14th May 2013 at 02:28 AM.

Real Name
    Natalie

Well shot. The white sky really makes the bird stand out. #2 and #3 my choice, too.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Hi Joe:
    Beautiful images as always. You really got the Heron feathers to pop out of that white background. Out of curiosity, what EV did you use?

Real Name
    Matthew

Very nice, Joe. Though I assume you were going for the high contrast look, personally, it does not work for me. The background works fine, but I think the bird and perch should be much brighter. However, making up for that is the superb composition and unbelievable perch, in combination with the perfect pose of the bird.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by realdereal View Post
    So pretty. I was just in Florida last week and didn't see any of the birds I remembered growing up.
    Just a little seagull on Siesta Key. Beautiful shots there.
    Hello Kristen, welcome back to Florida last week. Siesta Key... land of the Sunday drummers on the beach, beautiful island and beaches. Thank you for viewing and commenting on my images.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bob44 View Post
    A nice group of Heron photos. I wondered where his beak was in the first picture but photo two and three are excellent!
    Hello Robert, thank you for commenting I appreciate it.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    This is a very nice way of making a cloudy sky with no detail an especially attractive background. I particularly like the last two images, as the tucked head in the first image doesn't work for me.

There is so much dynamic range and contrast that I would not call any of these high-key photos. The white background on its own does not render them high-key in my mind. Instead, they're wonderful images with a white background. They take on many of the characteristics of an illustration, and that's a compliment.
    Thanks Mike, I appreciated you taking time to view and comment. Love what you have been posting from the southwest.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Well shot. The white sky really makes the bird stand out. #2 and #3 my choice, too.
    Thanks Nat, very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by kaneohebud View Post
    Hi Joe:
    Beautiful images as always. You really got the Heron feathers to pop out of that white background. Out of curiosity, what EV did you use?
    Hello Bud greetings from the land of sunshine and beaches to the land of giant waves and surfers. I shot this with the EV set to 0. Posted below is a shot straight from the camera from that I just mucked around in Lightroom until I got the look I wanted then cleaned it up in Photoshop Elements.

High Key Heron...

Real Name
    Mark

These are a treat. Agree with Mike, Joe, the flat white background gives over the whole image to the subject - to wonderful advantage. I like these compositionally, too. The perch itself is a remarkable piece of wood - not a bad subject without the Heron.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    Very nice, Joe. Though I assume you were going for the high contrast look, personally, it does not work for me. The background works fine, but I think the bird and perch should be much brighter. However, making up for that is the superb composition and unbelievable perch, in combination with the perfect pose of the bird.
    Hello Matt, thank you for taking time to view and comment. I knew the high contrast look would not work for everyone so I did another version with less contrast which is posted below.

High Key Heron...

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Downrigger View Post
    These are a treat. Agree with Mike, Joe, the flat white background gives over the whole image to the subject - to wonderful advantage. I like these compositionally, too. The perch itself is a remarkable piece of wood - not a bad subject without the Heron.
    Hello Mark, thank you for viewing and commenting. I thought the same about the perch almost like a piece of driftwood on a living tree.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Joe, really beautiful. Image really pops.

Karm