Thread: Canada Goose

Real Name
    Robert

Canada Goose

Here is a recent photo. Photographed with the Sony HX100v point and shoot long zoom. I like the goose but should of been more aware of the green water in the background. I think it might distract from the goose. What do you think? Thank you for looking! ....Bob
    Canada Goose

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Re: Canada Goose

Hi Robert, and welcome to CIC, from my part. I like your image. If the green water in the back (and also the grass in the foreground) is bothering you, bear in mind the possibility of selectively reducing the "Greens" saturation. That wont affect your beautiful goose (as it does not appear to have any green) and will tone the greens down!

Personally I would reduce the greens a little and crop the foreground.

Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Real Name
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Otavio View Post
    Hi Robert, and welcome to CIC, from my part. I like your image. If the green water in the back (and also the grass in the foreground) is bothering you, bear in mind the possibility of selectively reducing the "Greens" saturation. That wont affect your beautiful goose (as it does not appear to have any green) and will tone the greens down!

Personally I would reduce the greens a little and crop the foreground.

Thanks for sharing. Cheers!
    Thank you Otavio, the photo looks better your way. Thank you very much for the input, it is appreciated! ....Bob
    Canada Goose

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Nice clarity in the bird, Robert!

In the second version, you omitted some space to the left of the bird. I prefer that aspect of the composition in the first image.

Another tip is to consider adding a slight vignette that darkens the image just a tad, not so much that you notice it but enough that if you then eliminate it you do notice that it's gone. Doing so concentrate's the viewer's attention on the subject.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I prefer that aspect of the composition in the first image.
    ...me too, Robert! It is oftenly desirable to have some space to the front side of birds. So, the second image does look much better, IMO, but not cropping the left area (keeping the crop of only the botton part-foreground grass) could make it still a better image.

Cheers!

Real Name
    Robert

I agree about the cropping in the second photo. Thank you both for the information. ....Bob

Real Name
    Dan

Nice detail and exposure on the bird. You got the eye to show up against the black which isn't trivial. IMO the foreground OOF grass is more distracting than the BG. But most helpful would be a bit of space on the left side in front of the goose.

Real Name
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Nice detail and exposure on the bird. You got the eye to show up against the black which isn't trivial. IMO the foreground OOF grass is more distracting than the BG. But most helpful would be a bit of space on the left side in front of the goose.
    Thank you Dan!