Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mermaid Killed by Boy on a Bicycle

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Mermaid Killed by Boy on a Bicycle (Story Included)

Mermaid Killed by Boy on a Bicycle

Last December this mermaid came ashore at Hollywood Beach to buy a hog dog and and a cherry slush. After purchasing her food, and just flippers away from the food stand, a young boy on a bicycle struck and (I believe) instantaneously killed her.

After hitting the mermaid, the little boy stopped his bike and looked at her on the ground. He then looked at me and took off. I immediately ran over to the mermaid to try and help her.

I hate to admit this but when I bent down to see if she's okay, all I could think about is what a cool picture she would make. I took out my camera and began taking pictures of her.

When I was finished, I realized that possibly she was still alive. I placed two fingers on her neck to feel for a pulse. None was present. I tried picking her up and shaking her. This had the unfortunate consequence of attracting the attention of a little girl whose mother seeing me shake this poor mermaid screamed at her daughter to "get right back here."

As you can imagine, this caused me a great deal of embarrassment. Not knowing what to do next, I simply stood up and walked quickly away.

To this day, I wonder about this poor little mermaid. Why almost no one noticed her on the ground. Why the little boy did not stop to help her. Why I took pictures of her instead of getting her help. My hope is that a little girl found her and brought her back to life with a big dose of make believe.
    Last edited by Karm Redland; 12th May 2013 at 05:12 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Mermaid Killed by Boy on a Bicycle

It seems to me that your photo has forever brought her back to life. The background colors complement the mermaid's hair very nicely. By the way, you didn't explain why her hair became dry so quickly after coming ashore.

Try using a polarizer to minimize the glare and, as a result, bring out more detail.

Real Name
    Claudio

I want some of what you had that day Karm!

Hey Claudio, that day I was stoned on sunshine and the weirdness of Hollywood Beach, Fla. (The place is so strange that the people who hang there consider themselves normal.)

Karm

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

To the rescue.
    Mermaid Killed by Boy on a Bicycle

I am sure you can extend your story. Noticed in a garden yesterday while taking real estate pix. Should have used fill flash but did not bother - to busy photographing the garden.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 14th May 2013 at 07:57 AM.

L. Paul, why did you waste your time taking garden pictures when you could have taken action pictures of Commando Tom? He's obviously on a rescue mission -- although I'm a bit concerned about his chance of success given that he seems to have lost his undies.

Please tell Commando Tom that a Mermaid in Hollywood Beach, Fla desperately needs his help. However, make sure he understands that any possible romance is out of the question since Mermaid's only dig guys with tails.

Karm
    Last edited by Karm Redland; 14th May 2013 at 04:17 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Is it true that only in New Zealand do real men have biceps that are as thick as their thighs?

Must be all that Rugby Union they play ............ or handling all those sheep! Far too much testosterone for a poor gentle mermaid.

Real Name
    Sharon

[QUOTE=Donald;311423
    Must be all that Rugby Union they play ............ or handling all those sheep! Far too much testosterone for a poor gentle mermaid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah....something fishy about the Mermaid's tail

Cool work Karm.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Yeah....something fishy about the Mermaid's tail
    It was yer man's biceps that held my attention. Should I be worried about this? Or is it just jealousy?

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    L. Paul, why did you waste your time taking garden pictures when you could have taken action pictures of Commando Tom? He's obviously on a rescue mission -- although I'm a bit concerned about his chance of success given that he seems to have lost his undies.

Please tell Commando Tom that a Mermaid in Hollywood Beach, Fla desperately needs his help. However, make sure he understands that any possible romance is out of the question since Mermaid's only dig guys with tails.

Karm
    He will be devastated at the tail requirement. Have you not heard the expression going commando? I assume he has lost his kilt. Actually his lose of undies reveals that there is nothing of any interest to a worldly mermaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Is it true that only in New Zealand do real men have biceps that are as thick as their thighs?

Must be all that Rugby Union they play ............ or handling all those sheep! Far too much testosterone for a poor gentle mermaid.
    I think he is made up of polyvinyl chloride and various pigmented fillers (probably all invented by a Scot) I am not sure if he was infussed with testosterone (also invented by a Scot?) before leaving a factory in China. However people have commented what an amazingly deep voice it's three year old toy sucking owner has.

Doubt that he plays rugby because he looks remarkably injury free and has no telltale strapping on any of his limbs.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 14th May 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Re: Mermaid Killed by Boy on a Bicycle (Story Included)

I do have to correct one common misunderstanding about Mermaids (mentioned by some of you): among the inhabitants of the world's oceans and seas Mermaids are feared and have the reputation of being the toughest "bitches" with scales. When on land Mermaids act very demure. This is just a survival strategy. Drop a Mermaid in some water and you will see their true nature: part Hell's Angel, part Commando Tom, and three fifths Rugby player.

Karm

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    I do have to correct one common misunderstanding about Mermaids (mentioned by some of you): among the inhabitants of the world's oceans and seas Mermaids are feared and have the reputation of being the toughest "bitches" with scales. When on land Mermaids act very demure. This is just a survival strategy. Drop a Mermaid in some water and you will see their true nature: part Hell's Angel, part Commando Tom, and three fifths Rugby player.

Karm
    Well they say you learn something new every day but when I awoke this morning I never envisaged receiving this little important bit of information.

Real Name
    Bobo

Welcome the new story teller...