Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: tree of live

Real Name
    Marcus

tree of live

Hi,

had been at Valley Forge in January, was a foggy day and I was wowed by the lonsome trees in the fiels. At shooting I had a high contrast B&W in mind, shwoing all the organic shapes, forms and texture. So i did spend some time in PP to get the contrats as high as possible, or at least as high as I was able to get. I was not really happy with the outcome, luckely I found a "high contrast" protocol from Calvin Hollywood and I was pleased with the result.

Any C&C welcome, also tricks and tips for high contrast and B&W conversion (I used quadruplex in PP) welcome.

tree of live

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: tree of live

I like this very much. It captures the wonderful detail of the tree and does show us the fact that it is isolated in a large, relatively featureless landscape around it.

I do not know what you mean by 'quadruplex in PP'. Does the software you are using allow for the application of levels and curves? That is the first way I would think about for adjusting contrast.

Real Name
    Marcus

Re: tree of live

Hi Donald,

For adjusting the contrast I was not satisfied by using the typical tone-level adjustment tools in photoshop. I could not get the contrast I liked to have. Accidently I found a method from Calvin Hollywood and was very pleased with the results – especially for B&W.
    I adjusted the contrast in the 16 bit TIF directly from the raw, the protocol of the Calvin Hollywood method I have found in a Scott Kelby book for CS5. After adjusting the contrast I convert the image into B&W using a quadruplet (sorry quadruplet not quadruplex) setting (in the duplet dialog box in the image/mode menu).