Thread: Took the old bag to the beach. . .

Real Name
    mat

Took the old bag to the beach. . .

Beautiful day on Friday so I took myself and the lens bag to the beach,
    Had a lot of fun with the macro but I havn't had time to do anything with the shots so they will follow.
    I stoped for a coffee by the pier and couldn't resist doing some long exposure Bit I think i may have over processed the shots.
    What are your opinions, I quite like them but don't feel they are terribly natural. . .

EXIF Data: Canon 5D Mk.II 24mm, f/22, 30s, iso 250

Thanks for viewing
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 12th May 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Add EXIF data

Real Name
    Cat

Re: Took the old bag to the beach. . .

I absolutely love the second image. I'm a total glutton for awesomely clouded skies. And I love the rick colors, and the reflection of the clouds in the water.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Mat

I like the images, there's a certain 'funkiness' to them but I wonder about the sky. The long exposure of the water has worked well against the strong dominant structure but I wonder how they would look with a faster exposure of the sky.

Would it be worth it if you get another chance at this location to take more than one exposure (short and long) and try combining them in post ?

Real Name
    mat

Thanks for your comments Grahame, I think I may have a faster exposure shot that I used to check levels so I will give that a try !
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Hi Mat

I like the images, there's a certain 'funkiness' to them but I wonder about the sky. The long exposure of the water has worked well against the strong dominant structure but I wonder how they would look with a faster exposure of the sky.

Would it be worth it if you get another chance at this location to take more than one exposure (short and long) and try combining them in post ?

Real Name
    Marcus

Hi Mat,

I like the composition of both shots a lot, also the dynamic in the first pic created by a little tilt of the cam makes it to an intersting pic. The post procesing is not my cup of tea, I see glows around the pillars and the tower, the clouds are in kind of dark blue islands which takes away some of the charm of the concept which I do like. I think some sliders in PP are overdriven.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

I like the second shot in particular. The first shot has lost some of its naturalness as you suspect, but that doesn't make it a bad image. I'm interest to see the macro's later - I tried a few in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago but with very mixed results

Real Name
    mat

Quote Originally Posted by another Marcus View Post
    Hi Mat,

I like the composition of both shots a lot, also the dynamic in the first pic created by a little tilt of the cam makes it to an intersting pic. The post procesing is not my cup of tea, I see glows around the pillars and the tower, the clouds are in kind of dark blue islands which takes away some of the charm of the concept which I do like. I think some sliders in PP are overdriven.
    Hi Marcus,
    You are right about the PP sliders, perhaps I should learn to say "enough" I'm always pushing for that bit extra and don't know when to stop.
    Ah, still so much to learn. . .
    Thanks for the comments