Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Property Release needed?

Real Name
    Anthony

Property Release needed?

Hi everyone, just thought I'd start by saying this has been an amazing forum and website for my progression in photography and am very grateful for having such a great community at my fingertips.

Regarding the topic I'm posting about: I recently went down to Colorado Springs take some pictures of the Cadet Chapel, and some of the images turned out pretty well. I'm thinking that I would like to use a couple of these photos for commercial purposes, such as marketing for myself, and possibly selling prints of these photos if I get any inquiries on them. I have read a bit of material out on the net about government buildings being public domain and being unrestricted for photography use, with huge exception to sensitive military installations and such. It would seem that I would be ok for me to use these images since it is merely a chapel and major local visitor attraction open to the public every day of the week. But what makes me unsure is that the building is within Air Force Academy grounds, and you do have to get through a military checkpoint to access the place. That makes the issue a bit more gray for me.

I have e-mailed the folks at the Cadet Chapel website to inquire about whether I would need a property release, but it has been over a week now and I have yet to receive a response. Not sure they will respond to me at this point... Any ideas?

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Property Release needed?

Laws can be very different between states/provinces/countries as well as a difference between legal and moral standards. (eg: it's not illegal to take photos of other peoples kids in a playground but it certainly isn't recommended) I can only suggest you get in touch with a local camera club and pose your questions to them. Senior members should know the answer to your question. Baring that, drop in for an in-person visit to the chapel with a couple of freebee 8X10s for them. Explain what you want to do and see if they have any reservations. However, in the end, if you took the photos while standing on public property then you should be free to do as you wish.

Some reading for you

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know...-photographers

Real Name
    John

Re: Property Release needed?

Some good information here also.
    http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html#8.2