Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Viewing RAW files in Windows has changed...why?

Real Name
    Adrian

Viewing RAW files in Windows has changed...why?

Hi everyone

For the last year or so I've shot with an Samsung NX11 using RAW and JPEG. When I view the pictures, before and/or after importing them into LR4, in Windows both the thumbnails look the same, i.e. until you hover your mouse over them you wouldn't know the difference. Recently I replaced the NX11 with the NX20. After a recent shoot I noticed that the thumbnail version of the RAW file is really magnified, i.e. it only shows a very specific part of the photo....zoomed in as it were. Anyone any clue as to why this is as it's far harder to quickly see which RAW goes with which JPEG?
    P.S. A random check on NX11 RAW pics shows an average size of 22MBs, on the NX20 this is more like 35MBs.

Ta

Adrian

Real Name
    Jay Lacher

Re: Viewing RAW files in Windows has changed...why?

This is strictly a guess but that guess is that you hit the nail on the head with the last line of your post.

Pre Windows 8 versions of Windows will not natively display RAW images, you need a software package installed to do so. Win 8 may or may not be the same. Part of the software package will include what is called a codec. A codec allows the system to 'understand' the format of the data file. My guess is that the codec that you are using is restricted as to the file size it can handle.

CHeck out the following link as it may prove useful. It will lead you to Microsoft's 'Camera codec pack'. Before downloading and installing make sure that your RAW file type is included as they vary by camera manufacturer. If this codec pack does not help I have not a clue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...w-RAW-pictures

Real Name
    Adrian

Thanks Jay, I'll give it a go when I get home :-)

Real Name
    Jay Lacher

I hope that it helps your situation, it really can't hurt.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Adrian what version of Windows and what WIndows application are you refering to ? Is it Windows Explorer ? I suspect not as you need to have the codec pack that Jay mentions installed before you can see the raw thumbnails in Windows Explorer. This works well for me for Canon cr2 raw files by the way. The Microsoft camera codec pack appears to support raw from both your cameras.

Dave

Real Name
    Jay Lacher

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Adrian what version of Windows and what WIndows application are you refering to ?
    Thank you! While the Windows version usually won't matter in this type of codec you were totally correct in asking the above. Thank you for picking up my slack.

Real Name
    Adrian

Hi Dave.
    I am indeed viewing in Windows Explorer (My Pictures folder). I have had Windows 8 since getting a new laptop at Xmas. I'm pretty sure that I've shot and viewed pics taken with the NX11 on this laptop and there were no problems viewing in explorer. Therefore I'm beginning to think that the issue is either connected to the NX20 or to some recent update to Windows 8.

Real Name
    Ted

Hi Adrian,

You could change the 'association' of the NXnn RAW files (I don't know how that's done in Windows 8 but someone here will know) so that, when you double-click on one, it opens in e.g. FastStone Viewer, or Picasa, or IrfanView or even your Editor - instead of e.g. Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

BTW, I'm from SE13 originally.

Good Luck . .

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by northlondon43 View Post
    Hi Dave.
    I am indeed viewing in Windows Explorer (My Pictures folder). I have had Windows 8 since getting a new laptop at Xmas. I'm pretty sure that I've shot and viewed pics taken with the NX11 on this laptop and there were no problems viewing in explorer. Therefore I'm beginning to think that the issue is either connected to the NX20 or to some recent update to Windows 8.
    Adrian I'm a Windows 7 user, haven't taken the plunge to Windows 8 yet. With Windows 7 you had to download the camera codec pack however it seems that a camera codec pack was probably included in Windows 8 when installed. A google search indicates there is an update available for this here and a list of cameras supported here. Unfortunately, the Samsung NX20 is not on the update list so this update probably wont help you. You could try it though just to make sure. Otherwise I think you'll just have to wait for your model to be added in the future. It is included in the Win 7 update so it's probably just a matter of time for it to be included in the Win 8 pack.

Dave

Real Name
    Lex

It's worth mentioning that Windows Photo Viewer (at least in Windows 7) applies some edits to the images it displays (even with RAWs), so it shouldn't be used for critical judgements. The effects appear to be a slight white temperature decrease (warming), a bit of sharpening, contrast increase, and saturation increase.Compare the Windows Photo Viewer image to one displayed in Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, or IrfanView to see the difference.

Real Name
    Adrian

Thanks Dave, that might explain why the raw vs jpeg pictures I took with the NX11 still look the same (size wise) in Windows 8 yet the new ones taken with the NX20 dont.

Lex - thank you but I'm not looking to compare the photos (I use LR4 for that) rather just have a quick view.

Real Name
    Adrian

Actually Dave it won't let me download that codec...I'm guessing it's because I've already done so

Real Name
    Lex

Lex - thank you but I'm not looking to compare the photos (I use LR4 for that) rather just have a quick view.
    I believe you'll find that RAWs load faster in Lightroom. I have the codec pack mainly to view the images at icon size in their folders. Helps when getting rid of large chunks of shots.

Real Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    I believe you'll find that RAWs load faster in Lightroom. I have the codec pack mainly to view the images at icon size in their folders. Helps when getting rid of large chunks of shots.
    Thats what I want the codec for Lex....just to see them in the my pics folder sometimes without having to open LR4. I'm now beginning to think that the enormous file size is because the NX20 has a larger mega pixel thingie compared to the NX11 and therefore Windows 8 cant render the RAW file to give the same 'view' as the jpeg in my pics

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thats what I want the codec for Lex....just to see them in the my pics folder sometimes without having to open LR4. I'm now beginning to think that the enormous file size is because the NX20 has a larger mega pixel thingie compared to the NX11 and therefore Windows 8 cant render the RAW file to give the same 'view' as the jpeg in my pics
    Adrian I think you'll find that the Microsoft codec just extracts the embedded jpeg from the raw file rather than process the actual raw data. Most raw files contain a smalllish embedded jpeg. File size shouldn't matter. Maybe it won't let you download the codec beause it detects you already have that version. I think you'll have to wait until Microsoft update the codec for the NX20.

Dave