Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No more boxed Adobe apps/licenses

Real Name
    Mike

No more boxed Adobe apps/licenses

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Re: No more boxed Adobe apps/licenses

And for those without regular internet connections?
    Or am I missing something?
    Graham

Real Name
    Mike

It's a wireless, wireless world, it seems. Apple's done the same thing with its OS, in such cases you have to go to an Apple Store or buy the flash drive installer.

I'm not a big fan of the intangible Cloud (creative or otherwise). I like my apps close and my data closer.

How are you managing your software now (specifically, online updates)?

Does that include LR5 when it becomes available ???

Real Name
    Adrian

I use the Adobe creative suite in the cloud for business. You get EVERY Adobe application (Including Indesign, Photoshop, LR etc) and it costs about £40 a month per "seat". This is far cheaper than purchasing the software and having all of the update hassle: you are permanently up to date. I opted for this route for our in house design team because frankly it's a no brainer as most pros will use a wide range of applications for different uses. In our case we are doing brochures, web content, movies, still images, graphic design etc as part of our overall business.

You download what you want as and when you need it and it runs locally. All your archive material does not need to be cloud stored if you don't want it to be: we use multiple solutions.

This is the future of software.

Real Name
    Warrick

You don't have to be online to use the software. You download it from Adobe directly and then Adobe checks once a month to make sure you're still paying. If you aren't, then it won't work. At least that's how I understand it. But you don't have to be on the internet to use it nor would you have speed issues once it's downloading and running from your Mac/PC.

Real Name
    Mike

Graham's concern may be how to get the apps in the first place.

As for the subscription model, this is probably more of a problem for home users than businesses.
    Last edited by plugsnpixels; 6th May 2013 at 10:26 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Very bold move, but very exciting at the same time.

I've just this minute signed up and hey presto - as we speak I'm upgrading from CS5 to CS6 and installing Adobe Premiere (so look out for some cool helicopter videos!)

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
    Graham's concern may be how to get the apps in the first place.
    You just download them from Adobe's site as opposed to installing from a CD or DVD.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've used the Adobe download distribution method since CS4, so nothing new there. The only thing I don't like is the cost, which is going to be higher than the money I spent every couple of years on the upgrade. The only problem I ever ran into is downloading some of the larger install files; it must have taken me four of five tries before the Audition sound library came across cleanly.

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    You just download them from Adobe's site as opposed to installing from a CD or DVD.
    I think there is something about Graham's situation that does not allow him to do that, given his location. I assume he posts here via phone.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Basically I am fiscally limited. Cash flows are not regular so I use internet access from free wifi sources which are not always available - or not consistent/reliable. I wouldn't want to be trying to download high Mb's of information via a slow link that is also unreliable. nightmare.
    Plus, I tend to save up for stuff and then purchase when everything comes together at once (like Xmas or birthdays). There's always something around the corner that is more important at the time (like food upon occasion) so funds get diverted. Paying for a regular internet connection is currently not feasibly. Paying further for use of software is doubly unfeasible.
    I'm currently using LR2 (would love to upgrade so it recognises my camera (Xmas gift)) and PSE 10. I can get LR4 and CS6 for free (pirate) but ethically I won't go there.

I wonder if Nik and others are now going to go the same way. My post processing may have to stay with what I have.
    I'm sure that I am not the only one challenged, but businesses are in it for the profit and some will fall by the wayside.

Graham
    (doesn't even have an internet capable phone)

Real Name
    Dan

There are some upsides, but there are three downsides, it seems to me. First, it forces users who really don't need every new edition to pay for it regardless. Second, given the lack of serious competition, this will reduce Adobe's need to innovate. Now, they need to innovate to encourage us to buy upgrades, which is where a lot of their $$ comes from. In the future, we will have to pay them regardless. Third, for the same reason, they may be able to jack up prices. For me personally, it is not that big a deal, but I hope that one or more serious competitors arises to keep them in check. Microsoft is of course trying to move in the same direction, but at least they have Google Apps and Open Office as competitors. I doubt that Paint Shop Pro and Gimp are enough competition.

Real Name
    Mike

Be sure to read the comments on the original news article page.

Real Name

Be sure to read the comments on the original news article page.
    Ah yes - the "vocal minority".

My guess is that Adobe aren't stupid -- and the new business model makes perfect sense. Yes - personally - I wish it were a bit cheaper, but at the end of the day, it's only $2 a day in my currency - and I WAS already considering the jump to CS6 (about 5 or 6 months worth of subscription) and investing in a copy of Premiere (probably about 2 years worth of subscription) ... by which time both apps would have been superseded by newer versions.

Real Name
    Mike

Yeah, I know, usually such comments (on news articles, etc.) are not worth reading. But there are some good points made and it's interesting to see how people are responding.

I guess all one can do is see how this plays out in the second and third year from now.

Real Name
    Orlando

Count me out on that subscription. I'll be one of those looking elsewhere but it won't be anytime soon as I still have CS5. I'll keep using that until something other than adobe comes out with a convincing reason to switch. First off, I use Lightroom for 90% of what I do and this is not part of the CC package. Second, I had plan to stay with CS5 for a few years anyway, so for me it's not viable to go to a monthly payment route. My computer is up to date as I had recently upgraded so I wouldn't plan on updating my computer for a few years also. And lastly, paying a monthly charge would end up costing me more money in the long run than purchasing the software. I don't need to have the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out. Those that do, would probably benefit with this arrangement. But I'm on a tight budget, the economy is not getting better and my future career is on shaky grounds. I don't need another bill to worry about.

Real Name
    Mike

I was just reading more comments on the original article and those who support the subscription model say, well, it's only $20 a month for Photoshop. The it dawned on me that Pixelmator (love it or hate it notwithstanding) is a single $15 and you own it!
    Last edited by plugsnpixels; 7th May 2013 at 03:59 AM.

Real Name

I was just reading more comments on the original article and those who support the subscription model say, well, it's only $20 a month for Photoshop.
    And there's a reason why a Lada costs less than a Ferrari.

The it dawned on me that Pixelmator (love it or hate it notwithstanding) is a single $30 and you own it!
    Actually, $29.99 according to the advertisement on your website ...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by orlcam88 View Post
    First off, I use Lightroom for 90% of what I do and this is not part of the CC package.
    It sure is.

V4.4

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast