Thread: I raise you, with another pano

Real Name
    Phil Page

I raise you, with another pano

One of my early pano attempts. Vertical panos don't get much taller than this!

When shooting it I didn't realise how much processing power I'd need under the hood, or how much of a PITA the sky would be!

105 .jpg images later (at 70mm on a crop DSLR, handheld) and I found out. This is downsized to a mere 4968 x 2364 px. Afterwards I looked into Gigapan hardware to help out, and then saw the price of said hardware! I'll stick to my horizontal nightscapes now though

I raise you, with another pano

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: I raise you, with another pano

Hi Phil,

Is there any way the moiré can be reduced or eliminated?

105 .jpg's? And the camera?

Real Name
    Phil Page

D90 with 24-70 at 70mm. I just shot in .jpg mode only, dialed in Manual WB and exposure and shot away from the bottom right, zigzagging left and up - took a while handheld, but would have been a killler with a tripod!

I'll have to try again sometime if I get some good roof access in the area

Real Name
    Natalie

Wow, that is some building. I have a question....can you turn the camera and shoot it like you would a horizontal one, but go up the building...and then process it like you would a horizontal one and then flip the finished image 90 degree turn? I was just wondering.......

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    ...how much of a PITA the sky would be!...
    In my experience if you are having a problem with the sky when stitching, two things can cause it. One is a polarizer and the other is vignetting. First one easily cured for future shots but nothing you can do about an existing one. Second one easily fixed with software if you process each frame to correct it prior to stitching.

Real Name
    Phil Page

No, Dan

The issue was that the base of the building is obviously considerably wider than the top. Therefore when stitching together, to make a rectangular image there was a large area of sky missing. Filling this in was the problem.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    ...there was a large area of sky missing. Filling this in was the problem.
    Sorry, I guess I over complicated that one

Clearly from my comments the two things I've mentioned have been my personal PITAs. Took me a while to clue to the vignetting. Had dark streaks in the sky along the stitches that puzzled me. Oh, well, maybe someone else reading will benefit and avoid that problem some day

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Sorry, I guess I over complicated that one

Clearly from my comments the two things I've mentioned have been my personal PITAs. Took me a while to clue to the vignetting. Had dark streaks in the sky along the stitches that puzzled me. Oh, well, maybe someone else reading will benefit and avoid that problem some day
    That's why I process raw files through Lightroom first, with lens profile corrections