Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Graphics Considerations

Real Name
    Andrew

Graphics Considerations

I'm in the process of checking what's available for my next monitor. Nothing wrong with the one I have now but I need to keep the Birthday/Christmas list up to date year round. I've got my favourite already but need to keep up with the speedy changes being made. This one isn't due to break for a couple of more years so I'm expecting other options.

I've started coming across some potential compatibility concerns regarding the relatively new (3 years) and only a few available, 10 bit Monitors and Graphics Cards. The OS and software programs also have an impact on the performance of both. From what I'm seeing, the technologies will work together but mismatches may mean you are not getting all you can when compared to a properly configured PC. Codec's may be needed in some cases and even the GC to monitor interface cable can be suspect.

Some of the information I've come across is new and some is a couple of years old so I need to establish a current status to work from. There's lots of information available on the internet but I was wondering if any of you have already looked into this and gone over the groundwork. Knowing what you found may save me a lot of looking.

Thanks in advance for anything you can pass along.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 6th May 2013 at 04:12 AM.

Real Name
    Wayland ( aka. Gary Waidson )

Re: Graphics Considerations

Biggest improvements I made to my display set up was first and foremost a monitor calibration system (Colormunki in my case) and moving to a dual monitor set up.

The brightness and contrast of my newest monitor is defined more by the calibration than the new technology and the end result is almost identical to my old monitor.

The graphics card I use is nowhere near bleeding edge but allows two DVI outputs that can be individually calibrated so for PP work that's all I need at the moment.

I should say that I am not a gamer and do not produce video so users in those fields may have very different opinions.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Real Name
    Jay Lacher

Don't really know how these forums are about thing a bit off topic but hated to start a new thread for something so simple... PP has been referenced in this thread. For me photography is a hobby, not a passion... (shocked expressions all over the place; WHAT did he just say?? ) I know of two uses for 'PP' and would just like to know which, if either, I can assume it to mean on these forums. Is it PhotoshoP or Post Processing?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by jaylach View Post
    Don't really know how these forums are about thing a bit off topic but hated to start a new thread for something so simple... PP has been referenced in this thread. For me photography is a hobby, not a passion... (shocked expressions all over the place; WHAT did he just say?? ) I know of two uses for 'PP' and would just like to know which, if either, I can assume it to mean on these forums. Is it PhotoshoP or Post Processing?
    PP is Post-Processing or Post-Production. Photoshop is Ps (or "PS") and PSE is Photoshop Elements