Thread: LR4 - camera calibration

Real Name
    Adrian

LR4 - camera calibration

Good afternoon everyone

I have recently bought a Samsung NX20 and I use LR4.4 to import/develop my photos. I've never really used the camera calibration function before but I did try the other day and found out that I don't seem to have any of the options the various LR4 video tutorials suggest I should. Specifically, under 'Process' I have 3 options; 2012, 2010, 2003 (no idea that these mean) and under 'Profile' I just have Adobe Standard. Does this mean my camera isn't supported or simply that I need to download an update or similar?

Thanks

Adrian

Real Name
    Wayland ( aka. Gary Waidson )

Re: LR4 - camera calibration

The process refers to the method used by Lightroom to convert your RAW files. 2012 is the most up to date and includes features that 2003 and 2010 did not.

If like me you have a catalogue going back to the 2003 process you can make the decision whether to re-convert your older files with the new process or not. (I would recommend saving a snapshot of the old conversion first.)

As for the profile I don't know if the Samsung NX20 is supported or not but checking for the latest updates might be in order.

Real Name
    Andrew

As Gary indicated, Process 2003, 2010, etc refers to the revision of LR. Please note that changing to newer versions on photos completed with a previous Process will effect your edits in ways you may not like. You might have to switch back to the original Process or redo the edits.

Camera Calibration Profile refers to the profiles the camera makers add to their cameras such as Landscape, Portrait, etc. I am offered 19 options in the Profile drop-down. Not all manufacturers do that though and Adobe uses the default of Adobe Standard.

The Profiles offered is simply the data used by the camera to produce the JPEG output of the camera and is meant as an option or starting point for any further editing you wish to do. They won't come out identical to the display on my camera because Adobe can't copy the data, they can only interpret and translate it as close as they can. In LR3 over 200 cameras were supported in ACR. Yours is listed so I would suggest you check with an Adobe forum to confirm multiple Profiles are imbedded or find pre-built ones.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suit...d-cameras.html

Failing that you can always make your own and save them as Presets. Since the Profiles are only JPEG representations it would be fairly easy for you to come up with 3 or 4 starters.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 28th April 2013 at 03:32 PM.

Real Name
    Adrian

Gary and Andrew, thanks to you both. It does seem strange that, given my camera is listed as being supported that I'm not seeing anything; I'll use the link you've provided Andrew.

Cheers

Adrian

I think the previous advice is only partly correct. "Adobe Standard" actually means the standard profile for your camera, not a default for all cameras. For cameras where the manufacturer has supplied a range of alternative profiles you get a long list - common for canon and nikon. For many cameras there is only one profile for that model, and that is labelled "adobe standard". I use a leica m9 and ricoh grd4, both of which have long been supported in LR, and the profiles are both labelled "adobe standard".
    I don't know which OS you are using, but in my version of windows7 the profiles are stored in /program files/adobe photoshop Lightroom 4.4/resources/camera profiles/adobe standard , and I can see the "Samsung nx20 adobe standard.dcp" profile file listed there. So you should be ok with "adobe standard". Hope this helps.
    Paul

Real Name
    Adrian

Thanks Paul. I'm using Windows 8 but I'm sure the file path will be similar if not the same.

Real Name
    Adrian

In fact if you go to the 'camera' folder which is in the 'camera profiles' folder alongside 'adobe standard' there are a large number of nikon, pentax, canon and sony camera folders which do contain alternative profiles. There are no Samsung cameras listed which further supports your contention - nice one!!