Thread: Lightroom

Real Name
    John

Lightroom

Does Lightroom have a dodge and burn tool? Is there an equivalent function? I have a text for Lightroom 3, using Lightroom 4 and there is a section on creative color processing which applied different tints to highlights and shadows. I have Elements, so I could use that program, just wondering if Lightroom has the same functions.

My reason for asking is I have a photo that I am processing, the intention when taking was to create an image with interesting depth or 3 dimensionality. This is an example of the image I will process.

Lightroom

f/8, ISO200, 1/200sec, 55mm lens

Real Name
    Robert

Re: Lightroom

Hi John,
    I am not real sure what you are trying to achieve, however Lightroom does have-
    Dodge and Burn- Yes- Its the adjustment brush- just paint with the brush and adjust (exposure, clarity, colour, etc, etc)
    Duo Tone Shadows and Highlights- Yes- can be applied to a colour image for "Cross Processing" effects.

If it is a faux 3D effect you are after by creating a Red/Blue colour shifted image viewed with R/B glasses, this is not possible in Lightroom and you would need Photoshop or a dedicated program that works with layers and masks to achieve this effect.

Real Name
    John

Re: Lightroom

Quote Originally Posted by wobert View Post
    Hi John,
    I am not real sure what you are trying to achieve, however Lightroom does have-
    Dodge and Burn- Yes- Its the adjustment brush- just paint with the brush and adjust (exposure, clarity, colour, etc, etc)
    Duo Tone Shadows and Highlights- Yes- can be applied to a colour image for "Cross Processing" effects.

If it is a faux 3D effect you are after by creating a Red/Blue colour shifted image viewed with R/B glasses, this is not possible in Lightroom and you would need Photoshop or a dedicated program that works with layers and masks to achieve this effect.
    Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I want to create depth within an image by modifying particular areas, such as the tree with the black sash and all trees at that distance, so that the overall effect has an aerial perspective, so yes the faux 3D effect is what I'm after. I will start with the adjustment brushes for now.

Thanks again.