Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Why won't Photoshop open my RAW images?

Real Name
    Cherie

Why won't Photoshop open my RAW images?

I am so sorry if this is one of those silly questions with an easy answer that I should know!

I am using a Sony 330a and shooting in RAW, however I have noticed that the file extension is .ARW

I have tried "open all file types" and noting shows up. I have read through the list of files that Photoshop can open and .RAW is there so I assume everyone else can open RAW files directly.

Am I doing something wrong or am I wrong in assuming that PS can open RAW images?

Re: Why won't Photoshop open my RAW images?

Hi Cherie,

You will want to open up the RAW files in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw), and from there you will bee an 'Open Image' button which will load the image into Photoshop. ACR can be found by browsing to your images directory with Adobe Bridge (installs by default with Photoshop), and right-clicking on an image and selecting 'Open with Adobe Camera Raw'. ACR will give you many tools which become your digital darkroom. ACR converts the raw file into something that photoshop can read - that's why you can't open the images directly into photoshop.

Let us know if you need any more help

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Cherie,

My suggestion is to first of all convert your RAW files into Adobe's DNG RAW format Using their free converter (that's what I always do).

That way you'll avoid having to have a xmp "sidecar" file for each image you edit, plus, you can use the converter to transfer images from your card reader to your computer and rename them in the process).

After the conversion you can point Bridge at them and go from there

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Cherie,

The other replies could well apply also, but that Sony being a newish model, I wouldn't mind betting you need to upgrade the version of ACR that shipped with your CS.

You need to have V5.4 or higher, for support of the Sony A330 files (I hope and assume that your "A330a" is the same thing in reality). Don't get hung up on file extensions.

Have a look at this thread
    Opening RAW picture in CS4
    It contains links to Adobe to check model vs version and also to get an update.

I believe that ACR 5.x works with Elements 6 and CS3, although it doesn't say that there.
    Certainly I have 5.4 on my Elements 6

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Cherie,

My suggestion is to first of all convert your RAW files into Adobe's DNG RAW format Using their free converter (that's what I always do).

That way you'll avoid having to have a xmp "sidecar" file for each image you edit, plus, you can use the converter to transfer images from your card reader to your computer and rename them in the process).

After the conversion you can point Bridge at them and go from there
    I downloaded the converter, but with it tried to convert it said there were no compatible items in the folder. Any suggestions?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Welcome to CiC. Would you mind completing your profile by clicking the "My Profile" button on the top of this page and at least entering your first name and where you are from. We are a pretty informal group here at CiC and go on a first name basis.

As for your question, you really haven't given us anything to work with. What camera are you using and what file format are you trying to open? The error message suggests that you are not working with a raw file.