Thread: Black Skimmer

Real Name
    Joe

Black Skimmer

I find these birds quite unique in color and feeding. To feed they skim the surface of the water extending the lower mandible into the water scooping up small crustaceans and fish. I love watching them whenever the opportunity arises. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

#!

Black Skimmer

Black Skimmer

Black Skimmer

Black Skimmer

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Black Skimmer

That's one species on my bucket list. I used to watch them too when I lived down south but that was before I was into photography.

Nice captures on the bird. Best bird position on no.3, best water and reflection on the first one. You did a good job with your part. Nature wasn't cooperating with glassy water or special lighting. Pesky birds just can't wait for perfect conditions to feed

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    That's one species on my bucket list. I used to watch them too when I lived down south but that was before I was into photography.

Nice captures on the bird. Best bird position on no.3, best water and reflection on the first one. You did a good job with your part. Nature wasn't cooperating with glassy water or special lighting. Pesky birds just can't wait for perfect conditions to feed
    Thanks Dan, I appreciate your comments. You also have much in Alaska that would be on my bucket list.

Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

Joe - love the images. They are super sharp and detailed. I think #1 is my favorite - I love the catchlight in the eye and the reflection on the water.

Very hard to criticize. I don't know how much you cropped the original, but the only thing I might recommend is to crop it so that the bird is a bit to the left of the frame.

Very nice. Well done.

Real Name
    Dave

More great pictures Joe. Where did you shoot them? I've tried many times to get pictures of African skimmers but never got anything close to these. The African birds seem to fish mostly early or late. I wonder when these were shot?

Dave

Real Name
    John

Nice concentrated (you and the bird) effort.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cliffmccartney View Post
    Joe - love the images. They are super sharp and detailed. I think #1 is my favorite - I love the catchlight in the eye and the reflection on the water.

Very hard to criticize. I don't know how much you cropped the original, but the only thing I might recommend is to crop it so that the bird is a bit to the left of the frame.

Very nice. Well done.
    Hello Cliff, I appreciate you taking time to view and comment. Not a problem changing the crop in any of the images, I will look at your suggestion. Thanks again.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    More great pictures Joe. Where did you shoot them? I've tried many times to get pictures of African skimmers but never got anything close to these. The African birds seem to fish mostly early or late. I wonder when these were shot?

Dave
    Hello my friend, I captured these images along Black Point Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island NWR. They were shot around 9 AM, Dottie and I had gone there to photograph Black-necked Stilts and the Skimmers made a couple of passes in front of us.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice concentrated (you and the bird) effort.
    Hello John, thank you for viewing and commenting. It is very much appreciated.

Real Name
    Roger

Joe,
    Great job with the contrast of the eyes I know when I've photographed them it hard to see the eyes stand out from the black on the body.

Real Name
    Bruce

Great shots of an extraordinary bird! I wonder how they deal with the suddenly increased drag when their bill enters the water.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Nice captures Joe. Really like #2. For those of us who will never have the delight of seeing these chaps in action, scooping up fish with their mandibles, dare I blaspheme, and suggest that a video of such would be nice to see. ( for which comment I will most like receive a stern rebuke from " CIC Management." ) But sometimes the story from an action shot is just not enough to satisfy the imagination. To reiterate, nice captures.
    ucci

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by RogerCook View Post
    Joe,
    Great job with the contrast of the eyes I know when I've photographed them it hard to see the eyes stand out from the black on the body.
    Thanks Roger, your viewing and commenting is appreciated. I think the key to the eyes is when flying the eyes are open, when fishing they are covered by a dark colored membrane to protect them.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Great shots of an extraordinary bird! I wonder how they deal with the suddenly increased drag when their bill enters the water.
    Hello Bruce, thank you for viewing and commenting. I never thought about drag when the bill enters the water but it seems there must be some. It does not seem to bother them because they are fast when skimming.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Nice captures Joe. Really like #2. For those of us who will never have the delight of seeing these chaps in action, scooping up fish with their mandibles, dare I blaspheme, and suggest that a video of such would be nice to see. ( for which comment I will most like receive a stern rebuke from " CIC Management." ) But sometimes the story from an action shot is just not enough to satisfy the imagination. To reiterate, nice captures.
    ucci
    Hello Ken, thank you for viewing and commenting. I struggle trying to keep the bird centered in the viewfinder with still photography and if I miss I can correct with cropping. I would not want to try video which would seem less forgiving, but I do think a video would truly show the bird in action.